What next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brshooter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I completed my Open Water Diver certification this past weekend. I am trying to figure out what I want to do next. I sure don't want to wait until vacation time in November.
The LDS where I took my classes has a fun dive planned for next month that I think I will participate in. They also have a weekend class at one of the high lakes. The Saturday dives will be for the Altitude specialty and the Sunday dives will be for the Peak Performance Buoyancy specialty. I am more interested in the PPB class. I think it would help build my skills.
Any thoughts or recommendations? I want to do my Advanced Open Water eventually, but want to get some dive time before then.

Check out the local aquarium, might cost a fortune, but it something to do and you'll see a great deal.

Get some experience. Preferably, find a mentor if possible.

daniel f aleman:

And if you would like to finish filling out your profile, some of us might even be able to suggest some nice sites, or even buddy up with you.

I went to the local quarry dive area and started meeting people. Most people I met were nice and open to diving with a newly certified diver. I go almost every weekend (I now have a fairly regular dive buddy) and my goal was to get 25 dives in before I go to Australia in February. Well, my one time lofty goal is soon to be surpassed with all my quarry dives and my planned trip to Jamaica for some ocean experience.

I waited a little more than a month before I went diving post-OW class, and it was a little daunting on the first entry. I say, just go, meet some cool people, dive, and have a blast.

--Shannon

Dive, Dive, Dive. Nothing replaces experience. I would try and get in the water as much as possible. Although the PPB would help you build your skills, you should first concentrating on your basics and concentrate about spending time in the water. I'm a big proponent of experience time with my students.
Plus, I would also recommend trying to find a "mentor" or highly experienced dive buddy in your local area.

$.02 YMMV

brshooter:
IThe LDS where I took my classes has a fun dive planned for next month that I think I will participate in.

Definitely sign up for that dive. Right now! You'll meet up with other local divers who may want to mentor you and take you out diving to get some experience. Do you have a local dive club you could join? Great way to meet people as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom