What order to buy gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For hygenic point of view, I though regulator was first b4 wetsuit since ur sharing mouth piece with random ppl who might be sick

You should probably stay away for the ocean then: fishes pee in it. And die in it. And decompose in it if they don't get eaten first. And then pooped out.

Thanks all for the advice. It does seem like it's something that varies wildly from person to person, but with a few general consensus rules.

I will say, out of all the gear its the reg and the cylinder that terrify me the most to buy. I saw a lot of people mention the peace of mind of knowing how it's been cared for, but for me it's actually the opposite. I know this is probably terrible, but I'd fall more into the "ignorance is bliss" or "I'm just a novice diver, I'm probably going to screw up caring for my gear" Even though I don't know exactly how it's cared for, I'd feel more at ease with the "essential" life or death gear being maintained by a professional dive shop. I'm sure with time and experience that feeling will go away and I'll gain the confidence to properly care for my gear.

I am rather large (250 pounds, 6'1 or 113 kilo, 185 cm)

My shop maintains my regulators. I could probably do it myself as I’m pretty mechanically inclined, but I found a shop that I trust and let them take care of it.

The peace of mind comes from knowing who does the regular service, and how it’s cared for in between. I rinse my regs real well after every dive. All my gear really. I know it’s history and who used it last.

Thanks all for the advice. It does seem like it's something that varies wildly from person to person, but with a few general consensus rules.

I will say, out of all the gear its the reg and the cylinder that terrify me the most to buy. I saw a lot of people mention the peace of mind of knowing how it's been cared for, but for me it's actually the opposite. I know this is probably terrible, but I'd fall more into the "ignorance is bliss" or "I'm just a novice diver, I'm probably going to screw up caring for my gear" Even though I don't know exactly how it's cared for, I'd feel more at ease with the "essential" life or death gear being maintained by a professional dive shop. I'm sure with time and experience that feeling will go away and I'll gain the confidence to properly care for my gear.

I am rather large (250 pounds, 6'1 or 113 kilo, 185 cm)

So you'd rather rent regs and tanks you don't know how they've been cared for?

I have no urge to service my own regs. All those little O rings to get lost and go flying away? No, thank you! Tanks, on the other hand... I just took the tank inspector course. I have 10 tanks, so I'll be doing all mine except the few that need O2 cleaning (which I have no desire to mess with). The two local shops I get fills at don't mind filling tanks I've inspected.

You can usually get a pretty sweet deal if you buy your reg/BCD/computer together as a package. If money is an issue (when is it not?) this is probably the best route to go. If the dive bug bit you and you *must* buy something now, I'd look at exposure protection or some accessories like a knife.

You can usually get a pretty sweet deal if you buy your reg/BCD/computer together as a package. If money is an issue (when is it not?) this is probably the best route to go. If the dive bug bit you and you *must* buy something now, I'd look at exposure protection or some accessories like a knife.

Yeah, I swung by my LDS today and saw a few specials on package deals; buying a full package (Computer, BCD, Reg, Octo) takes a good bit of price off buying them separate, and they'll give me a 10% discount on any additional gear I buy alongside the package.

The package I'm eyeing is the Aqua Lung Essentials package upgraded; AL Axiom BCD, Titan Reg, ABS Octo, and i300c 2 gauge console for $1,100. Piece by piece that same set is $600+$400+$160+$400, $1,560 total. I'm not sure how I feel about a console computer though, or if the rest of the gear is good (I was originally looking at the travel package, with the Mikron reg and Zuma BCD, but the LDS employee said unless I was going to be flying with my gear a lot he wasn't a huge fan of the Zuma or the Mikron, and I think I prefer jacket style BCDs)

Can anybody speak to the four pieces of the above package?

I like the comfort factor of my gear but really have no problem with rental gear. I hear so many talk about putting snorkels or regs in their mouths that have been in the mouths of others. Little do they realize how carefully good ops clean and dry gear. Many folks have no idea what can grow in the gear they rinsed but didn’t have a disinfectant and then really good rinse facility before their gets put in a suitcase and on a flight. I am also happy I waited and had the opportunity to try different gear before I purchased. On computer 3 now and I really don’t like my latest. Live and learn. Would definitely do a Reg package but bcd would have to be my choice, along with fins and mask. Package is great if it has everything you want.

You should probably stay away for the ocean then: fishes pee in it. And die in it. And decompose in it if they don't get eaten first. And then pooped out.

Well, that definitely makes me feel better about the mouth full of seawater I ingested yesterday :eek:

Well, that definitely makes me feel better about the mouth full of seawater I ingested yesterday :eek:

Pool is worse: at least salt doesn't sting as much in the eyes and up the nose. Easier on the gear, too: chlorine's a bleach.

Yeah, I swung by my LDS today and saw a few specials on package deals; buying a full package (Computer, BCD, Reg, Octo) takes a good bit of price off buying them separate, and they'll give me a 10% discount on any additional gear I buy alongside the package.

The package I'm eyeing is the Aqua Lung Essentials package upgraded; AL Axiom BCD, Titan Reg, ABS Octo, and i300c 2 gauge console for $1,100. Piece by piece that same set is $600+$400+$160+$400, $1,560 total. I'm not sure how I feel about a console computer though, or if the rest of the gear is good (I was originally looking at the travel package, with the Mikron reg and Zuma BCD, but the LDS employee said unless I was going to be flying with my gear a lot he wasn't a huge fan of the Zuma or the Mikron, and I think I prefer jacket style BCDs)

Can anybody speak to the four pieces of the above package?

I don't know anything about that BCD, but the Titan reg and octo are solid. You really can't go wrong with any of the Aqualung regs so long as you match it to the water conditions you plan on diving (cold water vs. warm water).

As for the console, that's a personal choice. I'm not a fan of consoles at all, and I would recommend going with an wrist-mounted computer that has air integration. They cost more, though, since you have to buy the transmitter as well. If this is something that interests you, think carefully about the size of the computer you want on your wrist. Puck styles are cheaper. Watch size ones are more expensive, but I prefer them. It all depends on preference and budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom