What percentage of the World Population should be Divers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had the idea of this thread because someone was asking somewhere else why "so many people stop diving"? There seems to be a recurring theme that there are less recreational divers then there used to be, or that a lot of people are abandoning the sport. I have no idea if those perceptions are correct or not.

I think it could be interesting to formulate the problem otherwise.

In the Province of Quebec, according to La Fédération Québécoise des Activités Subaquatiques (FQAS), a little over 100 000 people practice diving to one extent or another. Given that the number of people living in the province is about 8 300 000, that would amount to about 1 % of the population.

Should the "recreational diving industry/milieu" aim to increase this percentage ?

A certain percentage of people should not dive due to physical barriers. As for mental barriers, they come in all shapes and sizes, and can be even more formidable.

What is the optimum percentage of the world population that should strive to become divers ? And why ?

EDIT: corrected the number of people living in Quebec, which is 8.3 million, and also the percentage calculation. What was I thinking ? Slightly modified the text, taking these changes into account.

Last edited:
It is hard to say what the total numbers of divers are.

Here are some scattered thoughts that might be helpful.
  • PADI releases its total number of certifications world-wide each year, and it's been around 900,000 for the last dozen years or so. There has not been much change during that time.
  • In the mid 1960s the Los Angeles County instructional system created the Advanced certification because of the perception that people were quitting diving soon after initial certification. NAUI followed soon after that for the same reason. Apparently, for the last 50 years or so, there has been a persistent perception that people are quitting diving, and the perception is that it is a new problem caused by something different in the way we are doing things. The truth is that it has always been characteristic of diving.
  • Google a phrase about the drop in participation in a variety of sports and activities, and you will find it seems to be happening with all active activities. The drop is absolutely huge in both golf and tennis in the USA. Golf courses are closing all over the country, and tennis courts that used to have waiting lists sit empty.

I think exactly the number of people who love diving should dive.

Making this possible for some of those of the 'physical and mental barriers percentage' is part of what I love about diving.

Overall I think diving helps people be better humans to each other. So I'm happy with increasing the percentage... there's plenty of water and most other human activities have worse side effects on the environment and each other... so I'm all for it.

A half humorous closing: As I always find myself and friends in shortage of good used gear, perhaps we don't have enough divers giving up the hobby?

Cheers,
Cameron

Depends on what value system you link the limitation to. Some options:

1.) The maximum # beyond which damage to reefs & other habitat is deemed excessive. Also factor in wildlife harassment.

2.) The maximum # who'd have fun doing it with a reasonable margin of safety.

3.) The # providing for optimal profit for scuba businesses (which seems to be an unspoken motivator in some of those other threads), without overly compromising #'s 1 & 2.

4.) Enough to be inspired to advocate for environmentalist causes such as reef protection, fighting pollution, oceanic acidification, climate change, etc...

Richard.

It is hard to say what the total numbers of divers are
  • In the mid 1960s the Los Angeles County instructional system created the Advanced certification because of the perception that people were quitting diving soon after initial certification. NAUI followed soon after that for the same reason. Apparently, for the last 50 years or so, there has been a persistent perception that people are quitting diving, and the perception is that it is a new problem caused by something different in the way we are doing things. The truth is that it has always been characteristic of diving.
I guess that quitting diving is not something bad if you do it for the right reasons: Despite being very well trained, you still decide it is not for you. That is not always the case, apparently.

Speaking from the point of view of a beginner, my perception is that it is too easy to get certified for scuba diving, in general.

I have no doubt that every year a lot of people will stop diving for cost, health or other reasons (it happens in way less cost intensive activities as well) , but I am curious: How are the numbers of those that are certified but stop diving supposedly captured?

I mean, I presume that stopping to obtain new certifications is not necessarily viewed as the same thing as stopping to dive - or?

While I doubt anyone has valid data indicating the number of people that continue to dive after certification, if there is a decline as noted in other sports, a likely culprit is the rise and prominence of computer gaming. More people are content or addicted to playing action computer games than actually doing something active like diving, tennis, or fill in the blank sport. My grandkids have friends that are so addicted that they rarely leave their homes. I feel sorry for those children and adults because they miss so much of what the world has to offer, and are losing the ability to entertain themselves and interact with people.

While I doubt anyone has valid data indicating the number of people that continue to dive after certification, if there is a decline as noted in other sports, a likely culprit is the rise and prominence of computer gaming.

A significant factor, for sure.

Internet forums is another cause. :wink:

In the Province of Quebec, according to La Fédération Québécoise des Activités Subaquatiques (FQAS), a little over 100 000 people practice diving to one extent or another. Given that the number of people living in the province is about 8 300 0000, that would amount to 0.01 % of the population.

Wouldn't that be .001%?

releases its total number of certifications world-wide each year, and it's been around 900,000 for the last dozen years or so. There has not been much change during that time.

Is that certifications or just OW certs? It could make quite a difference in the number. If it was for OW certs, it would be around .001% of the worlds population each year. Without knowing how many drop back out, it is just an interesting number lacking context for determining the number of divers.

There will be too many divers when divers decide to quit because they are crowded out.

Bob

What percentage should be divers?
Some would say everyone because we need to make as much money as we can, and others will say a few as possible because I like the reefs all to myself.
I think there is a natural balance in the number of participants in any sport. A lot of people try diving because it seems exciting at first, but then they phase out for a number of reasons, mostly financial, lack of time, and boredom, no local diving, tired of always having to travel, etc.
Diving is a very niche sport.
Not very many people are fond enough of the water to even consider such an activity.
Of the ones that are pre qualified by their own willingness to even try it, there are other barriers such as the cost and commitment to even begin into the sport.
Diving isn't mountain biking, wake boarding, snow boarding, surfing, wall climbing, roller blading, or even indoor electric go cart racing.
It has never been an "all the rage" sport that "everybody is doing now".
Not many are willing to put in what it takes to really get good at it, at least on a try it once vacation diver level.
There are more hard core types like hunters or photographers for instance that make it a long term or lifetime activity. Many of those are probably local divers, and conditions or environment have less to do with the core reasons why they dive.
I honestly don't believe there is a way to artificially grow the sport of diving. The people that want to do it will do it, and a few of those will stick with it.
I don't think training (or lack thereof) has much to do with retention. Those that really like it will find a way to work around that.
It's a special person.

Back
Top Bottom