What percentage of the World Population should be Divers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I laughed when I read this. I am fortunate to live close to great dive sites, but I take my vacations to dive in Canada.

I have had some great dives just north of Vancouver. When I was thinking of Canada I was thinking of something like Edmonton or Saskatoon. The Canadian equivalent of the northern north central US.

...In the Province of Quebec, according to La Fédération Québécoise des Activités Subaquatiques (FQAS), a little over 100 000 people practice diving to one extent or another. Given that the number of people living in the province is about 8 300 0000, that would amount to 0.01 % of the population.....

Something wrong with your number. Quebec population is 8,300,000 (8.3 millions, not 83 millions as you posted) Let’s say it’s a typo, my calculator says 100,000 / 8,300,000 x 100% = 1.2%

Wouldn't that be .001%?

Is that certifications or just OW certs? It could make quite a difference in the number. If it was for OW certs, it would be around .001% of the worlds population each year. Without knowing how many drop back out, it is just an interesting number lacking context for determining the number of divers.

There will be too many divers when divers decide to quit because they are crowded out.

Bob

Something wrong with your math. World population is about 7.6 billions. So, my calculator says:
900,000 / 7,600,000,000 x 11% = 0.01%

Quebec population is 8,300,000 (8.3 millions, not 83 millions as you posted) Let’s say it’s a typo,

Correct, 8.3 million. My mistake. And the percentage calculation was incorrect also.

I corrected the Original Post.

Last edited:
Question: How many divers does it take to compute a percentage?
Any numbers at all, as long as you have a numerator and a denominator.

Question: How many divers does it take to compute a percentage?

I don’t compute. I just look at the number & trust it to be correct & follow it. If my dive computer says your NDL is zero, then I ascend. :D

Not to hijack the thread but it is related to the topic. Baseline question, how many dives a year makes us a diver? Two or three on vacation, or two or three every other year? Generating a quantifiable number, even if we had dive tracking by individual, would require multiple qualifiers to trim the outliers.

My definition of how many? Enough to make boat charters available at a reasonable price and at a reasonable frequency to facilitate my vacationing. Few enough that the die hards are able to find places of retreat where newbies like my clan and me aren't wrecking all of the solitude and serenity. I'll get back with you on an exact number. :)

Correct, 8.3 million. My mistake. And the percentage calculation was incorrect also.

I corrected the Original Post.

If the data are correct, then Quebec would have way more divers per capita than the rest of the world. What we need to check is how many PADI certifications are issued / year in Quebec, so we have apple to apple comparison between Quebec & the rest of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom