What prevails about choosing a diving center?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking generally, not specific to your location.

1.) Good reviews - if I see 2 or 3 forum favorites on Scuba Board, I'm probably not going to book with somebody I never heard of.

2.) Very informative website; I'm an introvert and should be able to learn most everything I need to know without calling you. There should be a fluent English page letting me know being English-only won't be a problem on my trip. I need to know what dive trips you offer and what it'll cost, and whether the dives are guided.

3.) E-mail responsiveness is key. Strong friendliness, sincere helpfulness and fast response time go a long way.

4.) Tell me you have tanks larger than 80-cf.

5.) Your website should list different accommodations for different price points, tell me how far from you they are, and how I'm to get around back and forth. Where can I eat near there?

6.) An info. page for topside needs is good; not just excursions, but electrical plug requirements, what side of the road they drive on and is traffic bad, what's the currency and are U.S. credit cards widely accepted. Telling me it's a safe place scores points. Tres Pelicanos in Cozumel gave me detailed instructions for navigating the airport when I arrived; very nice!

7.) In a nutshell, make it easy for me. I should have a good idea how my trip should work out in duration, travel times, place to stay, number of dives offered, how to get around, what I need (e.g.: special permits) and what this is all going to cost...before I start shooting e-mails bombarding you with detailed questions at all times of the day.

And don't forget to explain why I'd want to come dive there. Out of all the places I could go in the world, why there? Are you mostly marketing to locals or distant foreign travelers? People making dedicated dive trips, or people in the area for other reasons (e.g.: vacation) and doing some diving as a supplement to topside fun?

A nice looking website that's still easy reading is nice. Make it clean, not too complex.

If you know any divers who aren't familiar with your operation, have them go through a mock process of researching Cyprus as a destination, looking for reviews, looking at your site and competitors, and trying to plan a trip...all without contacting you. Wherever they come up short (e.g.: unanswered questions, still don't know why anybody would pick Cyprus), that's what you have to work on.

To reply to the OP, I do the following:
  • If I have recommendations from friends I’ll check these ones first
  • I go on tripadvisor and google and get the centres with 4+ out of 5
  • I read some reviews, I also read the bad reviews to see if they were justified
  • I check their website and sometimes Facebook page
  • I email them telling them that I am gonna stay X days, tell them what I like to do, how many dives I have done and what certifications I have and ask how much I’ll pay for Y days of dives, how many dives a day they can do, what dive sites are popular and if we will do shore or boat entry.
Cost is for information, price is rarely a factor for me to choose a centre.

Forgot to mention, when I travel for a dedicated dive trip I want 3+/day unless there are strong reasons why not (e.g. deep dives).

If I’m traveling with family, 2/day may be fine.

Divesite map would be really good add on.
Put pricelist on site, it shows honesty that you wont be up the price if diver looks richer.

Speaking generally, not specific to your location.

1.) Good reviews - if I see 2 or 3 forum favorites on Scuba Board, I'm probably not going to book with somebody I never heard of.

2.) Very informative website; I'm an introvert and should be able to learn most everything I need to know without calling you. There should be a fluent English page letting me know being English-only won't be a problem on my trip. I need to know what dive trips you offer and what it'll cost, and whether the dives are guided.

3.) E-mail responsiveness is key. Strong friendliness, sincere helpfulness and fast response time go a long way.

4.) Tell me you have tanks larger than 80-cf.

5.) Your website should list different accommodations for different price points, tell me how far from you they are, and how I'm to get around back and forth. Where can I eat near there?

6.) An info. page for topside needs is good; not just excursions, but electrical plug requirements, what side of the road they drive on and is traffic bad, what's the currency and are U.S. credit cards widely accepted. Telling me it's a safe place scores points. Tres Pelicanos in Cozumel gave me detailed instructions for navigating the airport when I arrived; very nice!

7.) In a nutshell, make it easy for me. I should have a good idea how my trip should work out in duration, travel times, place to stay, number of dives offered, how to get around, what I need (e.g.: special permits) and what this is all going to cost...before I start shooting e-mails bombarding you with detailed questions at all times of the day.

And don't forget to explain why I'd want to come dive there. Out of all the places I could go in the world, why there? Are you mostly marketing to locals or distant foreign travelers? People making dedicated dive trips, or people in the area for other reasons (e.g.: vacation) and doing some diving as a supplement to topside fun?

A nice looking website that's still easy reading is nice. Make it clean, not too complex.

If you know any divers who aren't familiar with your operation, have them go through a mock process of researching Cyprus as a destination, looking for reviews, looking at your site and competitors, and trying to plan a trip...all without contacting you. Wherever they come up short (e.g.: unanswered questions, still don't know why anybody would pick Cyprus), that's what you have to work on.

Thank You very much for your informative feedback, watch our website for updates and improvements.

Divesite map would be really good add on.
Put pricelist on site, it shows honesty that you wont be up the price if diver looks richer.

We like that idea and four sure it will appear on our website. Thank you very much

I almost always look at the shops website. Ease of information. Photos of the dive operation are a +. Prices and calandre too.

I also like to see good photos of the boat(s) and staff photos with a little bio.

Good tank fills. A diver who gets a short fill will tell others about it. The same goes for a good fill. With social media, news travels fast. Short fills will drive away customers you didn't even know yet.
Such simple things, that matter! My last two tank fills were at different dive shops. One was 2800, one was 3400 (both should have been 3400). It may not be the biggest issue imaginable, but it says something about whether the dive shop cares about customers, or just its own ease. Same with returning emails.

When I'm thinking of going anywhere new, I come here first. I rarely look at expedia, yelp, or any of that. It's too anonymous to be really trustworthy. I realize with ANY web based site, there is some bit of anonymity, but I just trust this place first. I'll give you an example...in the Cozumel sub-forum, when looking for dive ops there, there are already oodles of threads with pros/cons/experiences with many of the standard dive ops. I chose my dive op based on these when we went for our first trip. This place RULES for all that kind of info, worldwide imho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom