What regulator do you guys recommend for deep water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voop:
I'd voice a word for AquaLung Legend LX'es too. Had them deep too, and they also just perform. For me, the fact that they can be serviced easilly locally was determinal in my buying into them.
In case anyone didn't know it, Apeks is owned by Aqualung, and they manufacture the Aqualung Legend LX. Same overbalanced first stage technology and balanced second stage is what makes these puppies one of the best performing regulators available today, as determined by several regulator breathing performance tests published in the last year or so. The bodies are slightly different, though, and the Legend LX second stage is slightly smaller and lighter than the Apeks, with a different venturi design that actually edges it ahead of the Apeks. In terms of service, the parts are more widely available than the ScubaPros which were the only regulators which performed as well or better than the Legend LX in most of the tests.

I have been diving with Poseidon Cyklones for many years now, and truly love them, but the Legend LX is my next uprgrade.

To which particular Apeks combo are you comparing the LX?

I have a feeling that all subtle breathing differences between all the high quality regs of today will not be discernable to most folks, especially since most can be adjusted on the fly.

I personally chose an ATX50 due to a trusted reputation on very deep dives and cooler waters, although most folks should never worry about this. I doubt I could really tell the difference between how it breaths and many other good regs out there at my experience level.

Buy the reg and service you can afford, and be content with it. I think I can safely say that most people will never realize the difference.

Wreck:
I'm confused (happens occasionally) and must be missing something in what you said.
<SNIP>
So how does using the LP tank make your second stage less likely to freeze - or was the context about first stages freezing?

I think the person was referring to the fact that he does not get free flows, not freezing. He was referring to the fact that using a high pressure tank on an untuned reg can cause free-flowing in some cases. I think he was just commenting that his free flows may be attributed to non-DIN low pressure tanks rather than the quality of his reg.

Did that make sense?

Like everyone else has said," my dog is the best dog because he is MY dog!".

I use SP because the LDS sell it. They also sell apex and a bunch of others. It is whatever you feel comfortable with. If you cannot get a reg serviced or the shop is not a dealer and does not want to service it, you have a problem. Get balanced regs whatever you do. You get the picture.

Robert :crafty:

KidK9:
I'm going to start my advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, and extended range in the next month or 2. I of course will be getting a DIN setup, but I'm wondering what regs you guys recommend? Thanks

If you want to go deep, with Nitrox, Poseidon Xstream Duration is the way to go ...

Approved down to aprox 600 feet .. Should be deep enough :wink:

Suunto's MOD for air (21% nitrox if you will) is 177 feet, so any nitrox below that depth would be risking a 1.4+ PPO2. Most serious people will be taking hypoxic mixtures down to those depths as it is so there should be no need for any nitrox-compatible reg for deep diving.

hi, i read your question and hope to can help.

i use apeks regulators ds 4 and atx 100, octo atx 40. reasons for this:
very good construction and absolutely diveable in cold water. i used this regulator in water with a temp about 37 degrees fahrenheit in a depth of about 120 ft and had never any problems. further you can do the service by yourselve, the equipment you need is cheap and the parts, too - you only have to know where to buy.
in my eyes it is important to have two seperated first stages for safe diving and the regulator should be dry sealed.

the other brand i have expirience with is the mares abys with the mr 22, but i preffer apeks because of its price i had to pay for it in europe.

at the beginning i used scubapro, too. mk25 t.i.s with g250, but if we've been diving in cold water or we did deeper dives we often had trouble with this regulator. if the water is war and you are not diving as deep as 90ft there should usually be no problem, but i am not trusting in this regulator anymore.

for questions about servicing just mail to me.

Back
Top Bottom