What regulator do you guys recommend for deep water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the Apex/Zeagle Tec50D or Flathead. Beachat had one called the VX10 that was the same thing made by Apex. They have been some of the preferred tech regs for a while. Used them for years and just bought my son one for Xmas. The Atomic are kick butt too. I tried one on a dive a few months ago and I wanted to throw rocks at mine. It was over a grand though, so I'll have to settle for what works just fine. It's nice to have all the same gear and lots of spare parts on board!

Big-t-2538:
but no one in OH really deals with Poseidons....or no one I've met that I'd trust anyway.

i believe the apeks overbalanced first stages (e.g. DS4) are good for deep diving becuase they compensate for the increased ambient pressure by increasing the IP being delivered to the second stage. i know those regs and some helium in the mix (to decrease the viscosity of the gas you are breathing) is good down to 320 fsw or so in actual practice, which is good enough for me. personally, i know i've never noticed my ATX200+DS4 breathing any heavier with depth down to 120 fsw -- it breathes as well there as it does at 10 fsw (i've got an ATX50+DS4 as well, and i've never noticed any different between the ATX200 and the ATX50, either, IMO save the money and get an ATX50 or TX50).

I use an ATX200 setup, but I don't think it would really perform any better than the DS4. It has delivered plenty of air to me at 200'. However, the air feels denser/thicker at those depths.

BTW, helium is not used "to decrease the viscosity of the gas you are breathing"

Wreck:
BTW, helium is not used "to decrease the viscosity of the gas you are breathing"

Not primarily, but as an added benefit the lower density and lower viscocity of helium leads to easier breathing and less CO2 buildup.

KidK9:
I'm going to start my advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, and extended range in the next month or 2. I of course will be getting a DIN setup, but I'm wondering what regs you guys recommend? Thanks

The best reg. for deep diving is the JETSTREAM/ODIN/extream line, nothing breathes better at depth, the cykon is a great deco reg. its small.

Most of the advice you have been getting are from people who have NOT been to over 300' on them.

jptrealty:
The best reg. for deep diving is the JETSTREAM/ODIN/extream line, nothing breathes better at depth, the cykon is a great deco reg. its small.

Most of the advice you have been getting are from people who have NOT been to over 300' on them.

Well, Bennett did set a world record a few years ago of over 1000' using Apeks regulators.

I've been to 330 ffw on an Apeks ATX 200.

jptrealty:

It's no secret those regs are probably capable of delivering more air at depth than most other regs. I must admit I prefer the design of the second stage's side-exhaust. Several people I know use them but go through some hassles at times to get them serviced. FWIW, Apeks had this idea that the 1/2" LP port on their better regs made them capable of delivering higher volumes of air. I'm not convinced though.

jptrealty:

Have you? The original poster is not likely to do so anytime soon.

I would like to point out here that it is not at all unusual to use EAN's of over 21% to dive to those depths. In fact I regularly dive a 24% mix to 180. You do need to be aware of your individual tolerance for O2 (not to mention your reaction to Nit. levels at that depth). Also I don't change Regs when I dive shallower so I am sometimes using up to EAN40-99. with my Apex TX50's. I also realize that you may have been referring to the fact that most manufactures state that it is perfectly fine to breath their regs not being EAN preped up to 40%. Because I never know what mix I may want/need to put that reg. on I prefer to have most of my regs, O2 clean.

Wreck:
Suunto's MOD for air (21% nitrox if you will) is 177 feet, so any nitrox below that depth would be risking a 1.4+ PPO2. Most serious people will be taking hypoxic mixtures down to those depths as it is so there should be no need for any nitrox-compatible reg for deep diving.

Bwanar:
I would like to point out here that it is not at all unusual to use EAN's of over 21% to dive to those depths. In fact I regularly dive a 24% mix to 180. You do need to be aware of your individual tolerance for O2 (not to mention your reaction to Nit. levels at that depth). Also I don't change Regs when I dive shallower so I am sometimes using up to EAN40-99. with my Apex TX50's. I also realize that you may have been referring to the fact that most manufactures state that it is perfectly fine to breath their regs not being EAN preped up to 40%. Because I never know what mix I may want/need to put that reg. on I prefer to have most of my regs, O2 clean.

My personal limit for ppO2 on the bottom is 1.4 and I prefer 1.2. I do use 1.6 during deco for 5 minutes after a gas switch (after which the ppO2 drops due to ascent to the next stop).

I think you'll find more and more agencies suggesting a lower bottom ppO2 than the 1.6 that you're discussing above.

Just my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom