What Rolls, Holds your gear for the boat and doesn't look like a target for theft?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got back from a trip to Aruba with my fiance'. It was a real bear lugging our gear from our hotel room to the boat dock. Two reg/console setups in hand, large Aqualung bag with 2 sets of fins/masks/snorkels/3mil full suits/boots, on shoulder Express Tech BC and Sequest Diva BC...ugh =\

What we are looking for, but haven't found is a method of transporting this gear to the boat on wheels.

If possible, it's be awesome if this imaginary transport device could double as checked luggage or even a carry-on (not sure if my Mares Volo fins would fit?) AND not scream, "Hey you criminal minded bag taker, there's really expensive stuff in this bag, please steal me!"

I like the DiveCaddy, but it has no wheels. I've made the suggestion to them and they said they are looking into it.

Does anyone have a similar situation with an actual solution?

The problem with wheeled bags is that most day dive boats have little or no place to store them. They're also 6-8 pounds heavier than a basic nylon duffel. The huge (built like a tank) Akona bags weigh up to 14 pounds by themselves... big wonder you don't see many anymore (they do have a lighter version now). Either is preferable to a hard case, that's for sure. I appreciate a wheeled duffel in the airport (as long as I don't have to pay extra for it), but I always have a lightweight mesh duffel inside of it that I switch to for the dive boat.

Are you carrying two sets of gear yourself, or each carrying your own gear?

If each of you is carrying your own gear, I've never had a problem with tossing it all in a lightweight mesh duffel and using a shoulder strap. The mesh bag + a small backpack is all I ever bring on a day boat... takes up a bare minimum of space, and the other divers and crew certainly appreciate it. I leave the wheeled duffel in the hotel room.

If you're carrying gear for two... well... that's another story =p

-B

Never did find a solution. I am hoping Dive Caddy gets their wheeled bag solution approved by the FAA and I think that might work out for us.

I use a mesh bag for two bc's, three sets of fins, two or three wetsuits, masks, and other small gear we need, then put two or three regs in a nice backpack along with computers, bottom timers, log books, and extra straps and such. The backpack really frees up space for more stuff in the mesh bag and protects the regs and delicate gear more. With this method, I can carry all of our gear and she can carry a bag for towels and lots of snacks. We are so compacted that I even carry a bag with my own weights most times. Last time out, someone forgot his fins and masks and didn't rent weights; I saved his day for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom