What SCUBA accessories/gadgets for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm taking my OW course this weekend that is the class and pool sessions, and then doing the checkout dives in December in Grand Cayman.

I'm just curious if anyone has any accessories or snorkel gear/gadgets that they would recommend for a newbie such as myself.

I've done SCUBA 2x now (3 dives total) and I own my own mask, snorkel, fins, and booties. I believe in the class they are going to either give us or we have to pay for a weight belt, so I will have those 5 pieces of equipment.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else that people would recommend to have during their checkout dives. I know I should just be focused on the dives and stuff, so I'm not talking about stuff that isn't really necessary or that would just get in the way. I know there are dive computers that are like watches too so I wasn't sure if that is something I might as well get before my checkout dives.

I plan on asking this question to my instructor as well. I am also curious if bringing my goPro during checkout dives is a good idea or not, so I'd be open to hearing opinions on that. Again, I know the point is to do the checkout dives to become certified, and perform skills, but I'm just wondering. I took it both times I did it before and it wasn't an issue, but then again, I wasn't down there doing skills.

My birthday comes between my class being finished and going to GC, so that's another reason I'm asking, to give my wife ideas what to get me :)

Keep it simple, and do your check out dives as you have learned. Don't change stuff now from what you were in class with. Change after, and in small steps.

(and leave a camera/GoPro out of the equation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Learn to dive first)

I would be surprised if your instructor allowed a camera, and fully agree it is a VERY bad idea for students, so leave that behind or for post instruction dives. Even once certified, I would recommend a few more dives, get comfortable with your buoyancy and develop some muscle memory, before adding the distraction and task loading of a camera.

I also say worry about accessories and gadgets later. Only thing right now might be a wetsuit. Depending on temps where you are going and selection and condition of their rentals, you may really appreciate having your own. Make note of what you liked and didn't like about the rental gear, so if you shop for your own later you have a starting point.

Okay cool thanks for the advice. I was planning on not bringing the camera but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I definitely want to focus on getting more comfortable and familiar so that everything comes to be second nature down there.

At least get a decent SMB and spool if you’re going to be ocean diving.

Not recommending for your OW check-out dives, but for ocean diving...

1.) A cutting tool. A Trilobite or the (rust-proof blade!) DGX Sharp Cut in case of entanglement in old fishing line, etc... Not likely to be needed, but fairly cheap, small, put it on your BCD webbing (nylon strap) and it's very unobtrusive, plus not likely to be viewed as a 'knife' by some places that prohibit knives.

2.) An SMB (surface marker buoy) (preferably with a finger spool you'll use to 'shoot' it from depth later, but at least an SMB; not all SMBs are designed to be inflated at depth). In the unlikely event you are separated from a dive boat, or shore diving and a current sweeps you out, your head sticking above water is a little dark dot in the distance, hard to see for even small waves. A 4 to 6 feet hot orange or yellow tube sticking up is far easier to see, and could mean the difference in getting rescued. Particularly for diving large water bodies off-shore, a good idea to have.

Yet another vote for leave the camera home during check-out dives. Even if you feel well-trained and capable, it's a distraction.

Richard.

Unless you plan to Dive locally, don’t waste money on weights! Get a BC that fits with integrated weight pockets...

Unless you plan to Dive locally, don’t waste money on weights! Get a BC that fits with integrated weight pockets...
I'm not buying weights but rather a weight belt. I believe they do rent them out but I was under the impression they are pretty cheap so it would just make sense to buy one.

If I recall too from the videos I saw, isn't one of the skills you have to perform during OW dive to take off and put back on a weight belt? With the BC's that have integrated weight pockets, is that skill kind of moot?

I can only speak to PADI standards:
Both in pool sessions and open water, belts as such are not required. The skills are for the weight system, with different standards/guidance for each.
I for one teach with belts in the pool, and integrated weights in open water.

Usually gear rental is included in training price, it is odd to be discussing just the belt price. Regardless, assuming your eventual purchase is integrated weight, buying a belt now seems like a waste.

I can only speak to PADI standards:
Both in pool sessions and open water, belts as such are not required. The skills are for the weight system, with different standards/guidance for each.
I for one teach with belts in the pool, and integrated weights in open water.

Usually gear rental is included in training price, it is odd to be discussing just the belt price. Regardless, assuming your eventual purchase is integrated weight, buying a belt now seems like a waste.
Well I'm not renting gear for the class and it is an additional price. You have the option to purchase or rent it, but I already have my own gear other than the belt but I'm not sure of the price to rent just the belt. This is going to be for PADI certification.

Back
Top Bottom