What SCUBA accessories/gadgets for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have your own weight integrated BCD, there are skills and standards for training that configuration. Belt is not mandated, unless you have an instructor that chooses to make it so.

And if you already have your own BCD, then go ahead and get a few basic safety items now.
SMB, cutting tool, surface signaling device. Lots of variability within those generalities.

And if you already have your own BCD, then go ahead and get a few basic safety items now.
SMB, cutting tool, surface signaling device. Lots of variability within those generalities.
I don't have my own BCD, I have the stuff I mentioned in the original post - fins, booties, mask, and snorkel. So sorry I don't have quite everything. But I know from the orientation I went to, those 4 things + weight belt are part of what they rent or you can bring your own. Everything else like the BCD, tanks, etc, are included with all the price.

Okay. Understood, but still odd. Back to my original thought - if this is the only time you are ever going to use a belt, why own instead of rent. If you will use it again, by all means invest.

If buying, consider a belt with individual pockets for lead instead of threading them. It is SO much more comfortable and convenient.

Agree with all that has been said. have seen a GoPro once on a student (in the pool I think). Not much to photo anyway, bunch of divers doing skills. Anyway, a couple of other things for after you're certified--
Spring straps for fins (if you use boots), unless you have full foot fins. No buckles to fool with.
"Pouch" weight belt if you buy a belt. Very convenient.
Harness or suspenders to hold up belt (I like suspenders anyway due to my physical characteristics--ie. belt slipping no matter what).
Apollo Bio Tank Lock (tank will never slip, no need to wet BCD straps). Mine was C$100 ten years ago, still works perfectly. Or, a BCD with two straps.

Many BCDs are weight-integrated, so odds are pretty good if you buy one you won't need the weight belt. If you do, not hard to get later, and than only an issue for local diving most likely.

When you go on dive trips, as least to the places I've gone, tanks, weights & weight belt if needed are often included. I don't recall off-hand seeing people renting weight belts on dive trips; has anyone else seen this?

I recommend a dive computer. When I went on my first dive trip I rented it with my other gear (regulator, BCD, weights, etc). They do not give you a manual with it (on how to use it) or what the various symbols and numbers mean, or how to scroll to this page or that page, how to set your air (if using Nitrox)etc etc. I did get a 2 minute check out, but having never seen or used one prior to that most of it went right over my head.
You probably won't have several hours of time to sit down and figure it out. Perhaps I am slow to catch on, and over the next several days I did figure some of it out, but I really felt like I was diving in the blind.
Even if you borrow one in advance and have time to download the manual that would be better than trying to figure it out for the first time on site.
That was the one big thing on my first trip that I was uncomfortable with and would recommend to the next guy. Make sure you know how to use your computer BEFORE you go.

Keep it as simple as possible, every gadget you bring with you may be an extra burden if something happens. take only essentials to the dive you are doing.

How ever, one of the things that could never go amiss is a knife/line cutter, can never go wrong taking a knife with you. (saved my ass from a ghost net during a night dive)

Please, don't take any cameras with you until you have learned to dive better, otherwise your buddies are just going to get annoyed that they have to babysit you and prevent you from smashing up any corals while trying to snap a picture of some fish... (happens too often)

I think out of everything, weights would be the last thing I buy unless it is integrated and bcd specific.

Weights belts are always easily available at any dive shop and I don’t think any shop would charge you for using their weights if you paid for a trip or any other kit rental.

IMHO buy a second hand cheap dive computer, your own mask, diving boots and wetsuit (unless you need a dry suit).

Having your own mask makes a huge difference, diving boots and wetsuit is much more hygienic.

I'm taking my OW course this weekend that is the class and pool sessions, and then doing the checkout dives in December in Grand Cayman.

I'm just curious if anyone has any accessories or snorkel gear/gadgets that they would recommend for a newbie such as myself.

I've done SCUBA 2x now (3 dives total) and I own my own mask, snorkel, fins, and booties. I believe in the class they are going to either give us or we have to pay for a weight belt, so I will have those 5 pieces of equipment.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else that people would recommend to have during their checkout dives. I know I should just be focused on the dives and stuff, so I'm not talking about stuff that isn't really necessary or that would just get in the way. I know there are dive computers that are like watches too so I wasn't sure if that is something I might as well get before my checkout dives.

I plan on asking this question to my instructor as well. I am also curious if bringing my goPro during checkout dives is a good idea or not, so I'd be open to hearing opinions on that. Again, I know the point is to do the checkout dives to become certified, and perform skills, but I'm just wondering. I took it both times I did it before and it wasn't an issue, but then again, I wasn't down there doing skills.

My birthday comes between my class being finished and going to GC, so that's another reason I'm asking, to give my wife ideas what to get me :)
Courses are an opportunity to learn about a bunch of things, including kit. You get to use certain kit and like or hate it. So after the course you are better informed than before. Leave spending money until you have a better idea of what matters to you.

Back
Top Bottom