What SCUBA accessories/gadgets for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the dive computers, is that overkill to have for checkout dives?
With Check out dives all teh gear you need "should" be included in the course, however I understand that in some locations they insist you purchase Mask, booties and fins?

Owning your own computer isn't essential, you can rent them for a small fee. The disadvantage of course is that you wont' be familiar with that particular model

Buying your own computer, is of course desirable, but you need to weigh up how much you are going to dive vs the outlay. Its a personal choice. If you were divign regularly or determined to buy a full gear set, then yes

Again as others have said, complete your dives, and then start to decide having had the chance to dive various gear and chat to people.

If you are only diving on vacation occasionally , then one needs to weigh up the pros and cons of renting gear each time for a small fee vs the outlay of a full gear set, ongoing maintenance costs and the "hassle of carting about and storage at home.

I of course own all my own gear and I have numerous different rigs, and am not shy about buying a shiny toy. Even though I dive most weeks, if I was being hard nosed about it and putting on my (wife's) accountants hat on, I would be hard pressed to justify the financial cost of ownership and maintenance vs renting.. So in short it always comes down to a personal choice

With the dive computers, is that overkill to have for checkout dives? Or is that something that you will typically rent when doing the checkout dives? Are they even necessary?

It depends. The checkout dives won't be long enough/deep enough to worry about. There is no deco limit for dives to 8(-ish) metres, but I still take the computer: to record the dive. One or two dives on a weekend can be done on tables with little loss of bottom time. Where the computer's really a must is a "vacation diving" trip w/ 3+ tanks/day for a week straight.

Safety first. How about a loud whistle on a retractable leash? A signaling mirror would be good, too. Then, I would think about a DSMB with spool (and learning how to shoot it from at least the safety stop).

You might think about getting a moldable mouthpiece. It's easy for dive operators to take their mouthpiece off and zip-tie yours onto their reg. Just don't forget to take it with you. Since it's molded to your bite, it's easier to hold it in your mouth. It also takes away the gross factor (yes..., I know they wash them. It doesn't matter.).

Oh yeah sorry I forgot you use metal ones so therefore I’m wrong.
Not at all.

Recommending not to buy a metal spool because it will sink quickly if you drop it is just silly - especially in the new divers forum.

Guess what, don't drop your spool, it's not difficult. And if you do (I have when I started) consider it a learning exercise as you wind it in

I would disagree with your comment about Apex reels being overkill for dsmb and used as a guideline in an overhead. The biggest Apex Spool is only 45m, which is not long enough for a Overhead, and they're perfect for dsmb, either the 45 or the 30, even the small 18m if you only using it at safety stop depth. But Frankly I don't care what people use, I have a dive room with many reels and spools people should use what they're comfortable with

I will say though, that there is a box in my dive room filled with junk - Items I purchased, ignoring the advice I was given which proved to be right. So my advice is based on my own experience and mistakes

Not at all.

Recommending not to buy a metal spool because it will sink quickly if you drop it is just silly - especially in the new divers forum.

Guess what, don't drop your spool, it's not difficult. And if you do (I have when I started) consider it a learning exercise as you wind it in

I would disagree with your comment about Apex reels being overkill for dsmb and used as a guideline in an overhead. The biggest Apex Spool is only 45m, which is not long enough for a Overhead, and they're perfect for dsmb, either the 45 or the 30, even the small 18m if you only using it at safety stop depth. But Frankly I don't care what people use, I have a dive room with many reels and spools people should use what they're comfortable with

I will say though, that there is a box in my dive room filled with junk - Items I purchased, ignoring the advice I was given which proved to be right. So my advice is based on my own experience and mistakes

It’s just simply unnecessary. Of course you don’t drop it, but as a new spool smb diver with thick gloves in a current, that can be hard, (I haven’t dropped one yet) At least if it’s delrin it gives you a second chance as it’s less negative. Of course it’s personal preference but a delrin spool is more forgiving. I just can’t say why you’d prefer a metal one over a delrin,

Biggest Apeks spool is 60m and it says on website, it’s used for lifelines, not long cave passages but more intended for jumping lines or going into wrecks.

Metal spools
Pros:
Stronger than delrin

Cons:
Very negative
Expensive (at least twice the price of any delrin spool)

Delrin or plastic spools
Pros:
Strong
Slowly sink (if you mess up, just grab it quickly)
Cheap

Cons:
?

And FYI, even the most experienced divers drop their spools from time to time. Don’t think that you’re immune from mistakes.

It’s 2007 but still relevant. Some good pointers in this. Finger spool: Plastic vs. Aluminium

The other items mentioned are all good. I especially like the "molded" mouthpiece, as I got one after almost having the regular one blown out of my mouth in current.
As for computer (or watch, etc.), I would buy the one you intend to use after certified. One "should" be provided for the checkout dives. Our shop requires you have your own mask/fins/snorkel, but everything else they provide.
Another item may be a foldable snorkel that can go in a pocket if you ever need it. I have one and (very rarely) take it on a dive--if I expect a long swim (not likely) or any possibility of getting blown far away if a current changes.

One very safety critical thing by my opinion would be that IF you bring any kind of line or rope or similar underwater which creates entanglement risk (for example a spool full of caveline) then you ABSOLUTELY MUST also have a cutting tool with you. preferably multiple tools.
the Eezycut style tools are among the best ones for this and don't cost a fortune. fancy dive knifes may be usable for other things and you may not need them yet, the blunt ones are good screwdrivers for example :)

A own computer may not be necessary for a new diver unless the dive operators /rentals always give you different model computer every time you go with them. You need to be comfortable with your equipment and it increases task loading to have to use new equipment one every dive. Having your own also haves the added benefit of being able to access the logbook later, check the dephts and times etc.
You may want to try different models before purchase to see which one fits your needs best. I chose the very basic Zoop Novo (was even the cheapest model available here) and probably will go with it this and next year and change to the Perdix or similar when advancing to tech diving at some point.

the cutting tool is a must but I would also consider purchasing a good basic diving light, a type which can be used as a backup if you later at some point want to update your diving gear. Something relatively affordable but reliable, powered with normal batteries and couple of hundred lumens to start with. they are usable even during the day when you want to explore the real colors of the underwater realm without water's filtering affecting the colors.

One thing I would NOT do is to purchase the type of plastic easily breakable gimmicks sold by scuba stores for "backup regulator holding" or "storing hoses" etc. or would attach anything other than the regulator mouthpiece or the inflator hose with zip ties.
I must admit I love watching DIR and tech diving videos but I also found out very quickly that the boltsnap+caveline method of keeping your gear in place is just a better way to do it in general even for "normal amateur diving". You don't really need the "suicide clips" for anything underwater, a bolt snap is much more reliable and even easier to use especially with gloves :) if you'll get a diving light at this point, just get a bolt snap and some cave line too and try it, you won't regret it and it even adds to your "cool factor" :cheers:

OP I don’t know what the water is like where you’re from but a foldable snorkel in a pocket is a must if you have choppy waves while boat diving.

It annoys me that even the most experienced technical divers brush off snorkels as if they’re useless. Underwater they definitely, but on the surface it could easily save your life.

6 divers drowned a few years ago near my part of the world because they were in very rough conditions and didn’t have snorkels. (Their gas was used).

OP I don’t know what the water is like where you’re from but a foldable snorkel in a pocket is a must if you have choppy waves while boat diving.

It annoys me that even the most experienced technical divers brush off snorkels as if they’re useless. Underwater they definitely, but on the surface it could easily save your life.

6 divers drowned a few years ago near my part of the world because they were in very rough conditions and didn’t have snorkels. (Their gas was used).
I started to practice with the long hose just a while ago and fully understand why they throw the snorkels away, it is quite impossible to dive with them both in place without getting annoyed and the snorkel going all over the place.
A foldable snorkel would of course be useful. But I am sure it is specifically because of the long hose that they don't like the snorkels at all. We have "tech" dive shops here which don't even sell snorkels at all because no one of their customers uses them :p

I don't however see any reason why one could or should not have a snorkel with him/her if doing normal ow diver with basic hose configuration. I also keep one with me when diving just in case :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom