What should I buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cannon fodder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have a 5mm full suit and a 7mm non-hooded vest, basically the top for a 7mm farmer john. I also have a 2mm shorty that works well in the Caribbean, but that is not relevant to this question.

I used the 5mm plus jacket in May at the local quarry, Dutch Springs, it worked well at 30 or so feet 50˚ water but I was cold at in 43˚ at 70 feet. I was at Dutch last weekend and was roasting in 65˚ water at 50 feet. The jacket also makes it difficult to move my arms with two layers, 5mm plus 7mm, on them. I did the rest of the dives with the 5mm plus hood and gloves and was fine. When we went back to 50 or so feet I could feel the colder water, but I managed.

I have a trip planned to Brownstone in Connecticut, which has colder water at shallower depths. I have 2 options, I can get a sleeveless hooded vest to throw over the 5mm or I can get a 7mm john to wear under the jacket. Which would be the better option for 50˚ to 60˚ water at 50 to 25 feet?

Thanks,

Derek

Definately! + 1 Dry Suit

As others said, drysuit. You can rent one or check http://www.dui-online.com/dui-event-calendar/, DUI is one of well known drysuit manufactures and they run demo tour where you can for 10-15$ try their different suits and get BBQ lunch. Looks like they hit Dutch springs on Sept 28-29 and another event in NY on Oct 5-6. Best opportunity to try diving dry, and you never will look back

Dry would be nice, but it is not going to happen in the next week or two. I was looking for a less expensive, quicker solution.

temporarily relocate.... a dive trip to the Caribbean costs less than a dry suit....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom