What should I expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny_Rocket

Contributor
Reaction score
I read an article about an antiterrorist unit that is being trained in the Florida Keys for cruise ship and barge security. (Florida Scuba News Vol 21 issue 9 page 22) I'm very interested in getting into a spring course. It suggests that people interested in participating be "certified public saftey folks" with drysuit and underwater comm experience. I'm taking care of the two latter issues, and am thinking about joining my local volunteer fire dept's dive team. Is there anything that I should know before I join?
Thanks for your time...

Jon

Jonny_Rocket:
I read an article about an antiterrorist unit that is being trained in the Florida Keys for cruise ship and barge security. (Florida Scuba News Vol 21 issue 9 page 22) I'm very interested in getting into a spring course. It suggests that people interested in participating be "certified public saftey folks" with drysuit and underwater comm experience. I'm taking care of the two latter issues, and am thinking about joining my local volunteer fire dept's dive team. Is there anything that I should know before I join?
Thanks for your time...

Jon
It would help to be a LEO for starters.

Jobs like this are not fun, are very hard work and both mentally and physically taxing. Normally this is not something you can just walk into from a sport position and some classes to become a PSD. To be a good PSD takes years.

You have no idea how big one of those ships are until your under them looking at every square inch of it. The are dozens of hazards that can chew your butt up and spit you out just by not paying attention to the hull construction.

Tip toe into something like this and don't try and do it in a giant stride.

Gary D.

I'm far from an expert in this, but I do have a little knowledge. I've known of guys that have gone down to do an inspection of a 'small' barge, then gotten lost on the immense bottom (this is a lot easier to do on barges than V-hull ships, because barges are flatbottom usually), and weren't able to find the edge in time.

It's definitley not a reef dive, but I suppose that PSD or security diving could be a very interesting and somewhat rewarding line of work.

It's definitley not a reef dive, but I suppose that PSD or security diving could be a very interesting and somewhat rewarding line of work.

I understand that the work will be trying emotionally, and physically. I have wreck and navigation experience and feel that I'm ready for this line of work.

I'm planning on joining the volunteer fire dept's dive team, and hopefully working with them I will gain some of the experience that I need.

Jonny_Rocket:
Thanks for your time...

Jon

Just joining your local team does not make you a PSD. I have been on our local team for two years and I still don't get to go on most dives. Why? because I am still a rookie and lack the experience that the other divers have. I have however had some experience with black water, body recoveries, running rope patterns and a few other things. but I still feel that I have only started to scratch the surface. Give me a coulple more years, a bunch more training and I might start to consider myself a PSD.

This work is not for everybody, if you want a good Idea of what you are in for read "Are you, or are you thinking about being a PSD? " Posted by Gary D. in the Ideas and stories section of the PSD forum, then read some of the other posts and see if you really want to Join the team. If so, Great.

Jonny_Rocket:
Thanks for your time...

Jon

Gary's statement on PSD is very accurate. Is this "class" being run by a Governmental agency? If so, most would require you to be LEO to attend such a class. If not, I would be suspect of the training and or trainers, if it's a commercial operation.

You could also perhaps get such training, by enlisting in the US Navy and getting into EOD and/or the SEAL program. If you did get such a basic training in UW EOD training, etc. you would be more likely to be selected to join a PSD team after you become a LEO. :eyebrow:

the training is in the keys. Where is the ultimate job assignment going to be? I think that is a pretty important question. Diving on a barge in 35' of clear, calm, protected water in the gulf is one thing. In the persian gulf off kuwait or iraq would be another.

I am a CRT/Maritime Response Member - hopeful PSD trainee. We have been recruited for convoy security in Iraq and Afghanistan for 800+ a day. No takers.

Might be a question to follow up on.

The course is put on by Florida Keys Community College, it sounds like a pretty good course.

The training search is conducted with a blacked out face mask so although the students could be observed for safety they get the experience (somewhat) of blackwater.

Maybe the training (if not to expensive) would be a good way to see if you think this is something you want to pursue.

What would your utimate goal be? (rescues / recoveries / evidence recovery / etc.)

In the military CRT was combat reaction team? Is this team your on the same or similar?

For those Florida officers interested this training is FDLE funded so no cost to your unit

Jonny_Rocket:
Thanks for your time...

Jon
I can't find the article on line. Do you know where it is ir can you ship me one. Just wondering.

Gary D.

rmediver2002:
The course is put on by Florida Keys Community College, it sounds like a pretty good course.

The training search is conducted with a blacked out face mask so although the students could be observed for safety they get the experience (somewhat) of blackwater.

Maybe the training (if not to expensive) would be a good way to see if you think this is something you want to pursue.

What would your utimate goal be? (rescues / recoveries / evidence recovery / etc.)

In the military CRT was combat reaction team? Is this team your on the same or similar?

For those Florida officers interested this training is FDLE funded so no cost to your unit

Hi Jeff,
It is Critical Response Team - pc name for swat. We are training up a new subsquad of crt for Maritime ops. Particularly in response to the possible threat against our chem and refinery facilities along the Miss. River in our jurisdiction. We scored a grant for a twin diesel patrol boat, and are trying to get our guys in a position to survive a fall into the Mississippi. Lots of gear trials to find out what kind of pfd will not let you drown with an M4 slung around your neck!
A Mustang auto inflate collar type won that test, by the way... over ALL of the Coast Guard types. The mustang will float you face up with armor, mags and comm equipment, plus the M4.
I fortunately have a fairly new fellow team member that was trained up in diving in P.C. during his usmc days. I suspect you two might know each other. He is working on several of us civilians possibly getting to go for some training at the Navy Dive School in your town.
I mentioned to him today while we were doing some training with our ROV that I had seen your website, and that you were doing some training there as well. We are still early on in this project, but we have some new brass up our chain that are committed to the right training and the right gear.

Sorry to drag this thread off topic. I was just curious if they told Johny where he might ultimately be working..

Jeff, I HOPE to be in PC in the next couple of weeks.. is the gulf even trying to clear itself up? I want to come diving!!

Shane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom