what sidemount tanks do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Possibility of me loosing the tank is very slim. Even if something were to happen I have carry 8 zip ties and 2 feet of paracord and an extra 2 double enders for that redundancy. I have never lost a tank before diving sidemount. Have you?

Not even Macgyver could breathe off of that

I don't mean physically lose it lol
I mean lose the gas. And no I've never lost access to my gas in any tanks for any reason, but isn't that why we rave about the redundancy of SM? Twin independent tanks?
Then what are you meaning? I have never had an out of air situation in my life nor has anyone I dove with. I don't see how I would "lose the gas." Due to the fact I get all my gear serviced annually and take the precaution of safety checks before diving. The "rave" that I believe how sidemount is should be called "personalization" or "customization possibilities." There are hundreds of bcds out on the market now for sidemount. There are multiple ways to rig tanks, stage tanks, setup regs, and etc... One thing that is so great about sidemount and getting into it is the fact that it brings you into a whole new world of how you want to setup your rig to fit you comfortability. Some people have hoses that going behind the neck like I do and some people just have the nose coming from the front and don't have the hoses around the neck. Sidemount is just a technical tool, is it primarily used for technical diving? YES!!! I will 100% say you see most divers using the system are technical divers. In recent years though people using it on the recreational side have become more abundant. Sidemount system was created for being able to freely remove your tanks and reattach during the dive. This is something you can not really do with twin back-mount. Sidemount has the same amount of redundancy as back-mount does with gas except we don't have that god-awful manifold that they deal with. (no offense back-mounters) Question for you mike, have you personally dove sidemount? Are you looking into it? Do you dive it often?

Not even Macgyver could breathe off of that
That is why you should always train and work on your skills even if its in the pool :wink:

Or a rupture hose, or a failure in your first stage. SM is all about redundancy. Having 2 tanks with 2 Regulators is, in my book, better than 1.

I will take diving 2 40s over 1 80 any day.
I agree with you I would rather have 2 tanks, well at least al80 being the smallest aluminum tanks as my primary. With that being said I have never had a rupture hose or a failure in my first stage. I get my gear serviced once a year and normally in that service I go ahead and change out the hoses. Many of the "problems" and "issues" that have been posted in this forum I have seen are items that can be highly preventable with the proper gear maintenance and training that I hope everyone receives. Is it possible for the hose to rupture and all of this stuff to happen? Yes. But highly unlikely if you take the steps for gear maintenance and diving safety.

I don't see how I would "lose the gas.

Is it possible for the hose to rupture and all of this stuff to happen? Yes
Your two quotes above contradict each other.
Question for you mike, have you personally dove sidemount?
Of course I have, I'd be talking out my arse if I hadn't lol
I'm probably nowhere near as experienced as you which is why some of the comments you have made have surprised me.
Anyway, each to their own.

Cheers

I concur that ruptures or accidents happen rarely. On my last dive last year I had a catastrophic failure on my right reg. I service my gear regularly and when I did my regs last week I found water inside the first stage. Turned out one of my new O ring was just not that great and was not doing it’s job. Water rushed in and air rushed out. With 2 tanks it was so easier to turn one off and thumb the dive.
It’s was not due to lack of maintenance, just a freak o ring that was probably a QC error at origin.

Because of your comments were comparing a single 80 to twin 40s, were we not?
Mate I was not trying to attack you in anyway, although I do say it can happen I also state: "Many of the "problems" and "issues" that have been posted in this forum I have seen are items that can be highly preventable with the proper gear maintenance and training that I hope everyone receives." It appears I have apparently hit a button judging from your defensive comment. Quite frankly I would rather just stop this conversation here because I am not someone who wants to make an argument online over something so small. I personally believe diving with 40's is useless and they are too small unless you are diving 15 feet for recovery or to backpack like you said with the kayak. With that being said like I said with sidemount, "sidemount is should be called "personalization" or "customization possibilities." So if that works for you and you believe that is the best solution than do what makes you comfortable and stay safe. Cheers mate

I concur that ruptures or accidents happen rarely. On my last dive last year I had a catastrophic failure on my right reg. I service my gear regularly and when I did my regs last week I found water inside the first stage. Turned out one of my new O ring was just not that great and was not doing it’s job. Water rushed in and air rushed out. With 2 tanks it was so easier to turn one off and thumb the dive.
It’s was not due to lack of maintenance, just a freak o ring that was probably a QC error at origin.
What O-ring did you use and from what company? How did the accident look underwater? Did it look violent? Small bubbles coming out? Was the O-Ring fully seated? I know some times if you don't properly release all pressure in the system, sometimes an o-ring has enough force to just slip a little. I would like to know more about this because I would say o-ring failure is normally one of the most common failures in diving. People just get in the habit of not checking to make sure.

I never said anything about a kayak but ok.

All the best
I thought that was you but, it was something bowers said.

Happy New Years

Back
Top Bottom