What size doubles wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently diving a singles setup and am looking to move to doubles, but I'm not sure how much liftI need. The only immediate change to my gear will be double AL80s in stead of a single AL80, tank bands, an isolator (using left/right modular valves already), an additional first stage (HOG D1CW), and the new wing. I dive with 4lbs of lead on a belt with the single AL80. I'm currently using a DSS large steel plate and a Torus 17 wing. The Torus 17 can float me at the beginning of a dive with an additional 2-3 lbs of weight; any more than that, though, is pushing it. I'm diving a DIR setup, with a full 3mm wetsuit and 2mm neoprene pocket shorts.

My (unresearched) guess is that I should be adding an additional 6-8lb in hardware (first stage, isolator, bands) and have an additional -2lb to +3lb swing due to gas in the second AL80. By my guess, that puts me needing an additional 10lbs of lift at a minimum...and more in the future if I am carrying more gear/stages/etc. Is that close to correct?

Based on all that, would the Torus 38 be enough, or should I go to the 42?

I think that 42 would be a minimum, and may not be enough down the road. Have you looked at anything in the 55# - 60# range?

I'm currently diving a singles setup and am looking to move to doubles, but I'm not sure how much liftI need. The only immediate change to my gear will be double AL80s in stead of a single AL80, tank bands, an isolator (using left/right modular valves already), an additional first stage (HOG D1CW), and the new wing. I dive with 4lbs of lead on a belt with the single AL80. I'm currently using a DSS large steel plate and a Torus 17 wing. The Torus 17 can float me at the beginning of a dive with an additional 2-3 lbs of weight; any more than that, though, is pushing it. I'm diving a DIR setup, with a full 3mm wetsuit and 2mm neoprene pocket shorts.

My (unresearched) guess is that I should be adding an additional 6-8lb in hardware (first stage, isolator, bands) and have an additional -2lb to +3lb swing due to gas in the second AL80. By my guess, that puts me needing an additional 10lbs of lift at a minimum...and more in the future if I am carrying more gear/stages/etc. Is that close to correct?

Based on all that, would the Torus 38 be enough, or should I go to the 42?

The short answer is a Torus 38. T-38's were designed for wetsuits and 2 x al 80's. The longer answer is: Minimum wing capacity for doubles will be the weight of your back gas + the buoyancy of your exposure suit + 2-3 lbs ( if diving a drysuit)

Your wetsuit is 4-6 lbs positive, and 2 x al 80's hold ~12 lbs of gas. 6 + 12 = 18 18 < 38.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom