what size inner tube to buy to make 2" EPDM bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggins_69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
paying $2 per for 2" rubber bands is really silly when a bike inner tube is $4 for enough material to make about 150 of them (~75 inches of tube, 1/2" wide bands)

only question is what size innertube will give the right size band to work with 2" webbing?

someone must know this...

2" wide = 4" circumference / pi or 3.14 = about 1.25 bike innertube

2" wide = 4" circumference / pi or 3.14 = about 1.25 bike innertube
yeah, except not really. inner tubes are sold sized to the exterior width of the tire they are supposed to go inside. a "27x1.25" tube is about 7/8 inch in diameter before you put air in it (yes, I made this mistake)

was hoping someone had been through this before and could just say "buy this one"...

Could you maybe split the tube down the middle? If a 27" tube is 1 3/4" what is a 700cc tube?

You're a scuba diver. I'm sure you've spent more than $10 in the past to figure out what you needed / wanted.

We all have. No judgement.

yeah, except not really. inner tubes are sold sized to the exterior width of the tire they are supposed to go inside. a "27x1.25" tube is about 7/8 inch in diameter before you put air in it (yes, I made this mistake)

was hoping someone had been through this before and could just say "buy this one"...

In many cases you can open the tube box and just measure it to see if it is 2 inches, that is what I did at wall mart. The issue yo mention may very well be true and if so the smaller size inside will allow the ring to hold in place instead of freely sliding

Check at a local bike shop... They'll probably give you a flat/leaky tube that would be thrown away.
Also, you can cut at an angle to get a larger "band" then the tube diameter. I cut a kind of s-curve across the width of the tube to prevent points.

I totally get the spirit of the intent....same that I had.

For me, the OEM snoopy loops on my XDeep BPW (supposedly a premium brand) were crappy inner tube, unevenly cut and inconsistently thick. I thought about doing the same as you but concluded hunting around for a quality inner tube was going to be an unnecessary level of work for likely the same outcome....crappy inner tube.

The manufactured snoopy loops are much thicker and more consistent quality. I tug on two nearly every single dive...the one on my left waist to stow the excess length of belt and the one on the right shoulder strap that keeps my back up light in place. Both look the same as the others that don’t get stretched.

I was happy to spring for a half dozen and it was easily the least expensive upgrade (and improved peace of mind) I’ve done compared to second and third iterations of fins, DSMBs, spools, lights, regs, hoses, etc, etc, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom