What size kayak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfCoastdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
what is the best size for the price?
I have a 13.5 that I am using that is a friends and will need to give it back soon.
WestMarine has a 9' Ocean kayak for sale for 400.00 bucs, any one have one that small and do you like it? They also have an Ocean Scrambler XT Angler for 450.00, I think I've seen them used for that much or more...

You will get as many answers as there are kayak divers!!!

I love my Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 because it is stable and sturdy and holds a lot of stuff. If you're going to something smaller, you really need to look at how you are going to stow everything.

I'm using an old pelican tandem. I bought it cheap several years ago mostly to fish from and for the wife and I to paddle around in. It's a big, slow barge, but it's stable and easy getting in and out of and has a good bit of room. 14 ft I think, with 500 lbs load capacity.

Definitely over 13'. Anything smaller will not be fast or stable enough.

what is the best size for the price?
I have a 13.5 that I am using that is a friends and will need to give it back soon.
WestMarine has a 9' Ocean kayak for sale for 400.00 bucs, any one have one that small and do you like it? They also have an Ocean Scrambler XT Angler for 450.00, I think I've seen them used for that much or more...

I bought the OK Scrambler XT Angler from Academy for ?$430.I like it alot, check with Academy....................here you go, found it on their website......yep, 430 bucks, I got the nice padded back seat & a paddle to bring the price up a bit more(but worth it)..was like 600 bucks for everything I bought.....Also have added the side handles($12 from Austin Kayak), it's a nice one I think......

OCEAN KAYAK SCRAMBLER XT ANGLER KAYAK

I used to kayak out to one mile reef off of Bradenton and freedive sprearfish with my buddy. He had a scupper that was 15' and I had and still have a Scrambler that is 12'. He was always faster and both of us believed it was the length of the scupper hull. And hull speed is directly related to length. The 9' footer will seem too small too soon is my perception. And that price is a good one. You may want to look at the 15'. My next yak will be longer. You won't regret the extra boat for many reasons from stability to gear carrying ability to comfort. Let us know what you come up with.

True, but the longer the boat, the faster. While you may not care about speed per se, it translates into less effort to get out to the reef. Believe me, paddling yourself and all of your dive stuff through waves to a spot a mile or more away is quite a bit of work!

I have the OK XT and can carry everything I need but it is slow, I think it's more the shape of the hull rather than how long it is.

Lay out the gear you want to take, plus consider a small cooler and see how much room you'll need. You will definitly get the bigger yak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom