What skills do you actually learn in a Solo course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Title says it all really. I've been on the SDI and PADI websites but it seems to be mostly just chicken feeding.
It depends on what you already know. I did not do SDI Solo until I had 760 dives and had been diving solo for many years. I did not "learn" anything new, but it was a reasonable review of infrequently practiced activities like doff & don, one fin swim, no mask... I mainly did the class to obtain the cert so that it would be easier to dive with operators who do not know me. It has worked out beautifully

.. I mainly did the class to obtain the cert...
DITTO,,,Just like the advanced class card you need to satisfy the dive shop's insurance requirements, the SDI Solo card does also.

You really don't learn any new skills, you just learn to be completely self reliant- most of what you need is in the book and it's all about redundancy with your gear, the most important being an extra tank and regulator and how to carry it.

As others said, it's mainly to get the card which dive Ops need for insurance liability purposes.

One new skill you learn is how to lie back in the water, look upward and do a self bubble check.

It is a hoax. "If solo diving is the new trend, why not jump the wagon and make some money?"

It is a hoax. "If solo diving is the new trend, why not jump the vagon and make some money?"
What a silly, uninformed statement. As an opinion, fine. As a fact, silly.

Another solo skill many divers never take seriously until the class is air consumption rates and consequent dive planning.

It is a hoax. "If solo diving is the new trend, why not jump the vagon and make some money?"

Not sure what you're referring to as being a hoax, as far as making money and jumping on the bandwagon, that seems to be what's happening, at least with PADI who only recently offered their version of the course which they call "Self Reliant Diver". They were holdouts for many years after other agencies started teaching the course.

Back
Top Bottom