What sort of surface marker do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
They diver that was picked up in Sebastian the other day after floating around at sea for a while made me think of this.

What kinda of surface marker do most of you use? Lift bag? safety sausage?

Since I plan on taking the TDI AdvEAN/Deco class next month, I know we'll be covering this topic. So I'm waiting on that discussion before I make my purchase.

But I do have my eye on the 7-8 footers that OMS and Halcyon manufacture. And if I remember correctly, these SMB's can also do double duty as a lift bag.

I have:
  • a whistle
  • a reflective device (I keep using the CDs that I get in the mail from various Internet services)
  • a safety sausage
  • a float with flag

The first 3 are always on me, the flag I use for drift diving.

Originally posted by DivingGal
The first 3 are always on me, the flag I use for drift diving.

SO you don't use a flag while diving from shore? Or is that considured a drift dive?

By the way, I like the CD idea ... never thought about that ..

Originally posted by NINman
SO you don't use a flag while diving from shore? Or is that considured a drift dive?

By the way, I like the CD idea ... never thought about that ..

I should clarify that a bit.. If I'm diving where there is no clear indication that a diver is there - you bet I use the flag. I mentioned the drift, as a point for when I leave the dive boat and will be traveling away from it's "anchorage".

Originally posted by DivingGal
I should clarify that a bit.. If I'm diving where there is no clear indication that a diver is there - you bet I use the flag.

When shore diving and using a dive flag on a floation device of some sort, how do you prevent it from floating away from your dive point?

Never seen one or used one during a shore dive.

Two ways to handle the float:

1. Keep it with you. The is a item used to wind the rope. It is about a foot long and the rope is tied off to it. The built in handle is then towed along with you and wound and unwound as needed.

2. Using the same rope winder you can wedge it into a rock area and then just stay in that area.

I find it most convient just to tow it along.

Make sure you never "attach" the line from the float/flag to you. Im sure everyone knows this already, but just in case someone doesnt. Always carry it loosely in your hand so you can release it in case a boat accidentally snags it, or if surface swells or wave action intensifies. You dont want the float yanking you up and down in the water.

Back
Top Bottom