What specifically brings you back to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started out hitting Coz as a cruise ship dive stop back in 2002 shortly after getting certified. Although we had a BAD experience with the actual dive op we used that day, something must have clicked on, as we decided to give Coz a 2nd try. From there, it just kept getting better and better. We love the diving, the people, and the food. Used to love the airfare prices too, but those really suck lately! There's just something about the island that makes you want to come back again and again. We always talk about trying another non-USA spot, but in the end, come right back to Coz.

The friends you make at Invasions! Hotel Cozumel 2012.
Hotel Cozumel 6-30-12 108.jpg

Wife and I are going to Roatan this November, but I suspect we will there in the rain wondering why we didn't go to Cozumel like last year. My wife has never been to Roatan and wanted to see what it was like.

We are going in November too, hope the rain stays away for both of us! Are you staying at a resort or renting a home? We are still trying to decide which to do. We stayed at both the sabor resort and at Villa Dos in Cozumel the two times we were in Cozumel, loved the villa best! That said we are hoping to find something similar in Roatan. Any thoughts?

Ok, I'll play :) Well, to break the running theme... It's definitely NOT cheap for me to get there, and it's getting prohibitively more expensive each year. Snif.

I fell in love with the place back in 1984. For a while I was convinced I would end up living in Cancun or Playa, but that all changed by the 1990's. Over the years I found the one place in the Yucatan that changed significantly on the outside, but didn't seem to lose it's head or it's soul was Coz.

I kept searching for 'the' place I wanted to be. It took a year in Europe to know I wanted to be in the Carribean, so I went further and further south, a little inland, even tried the west coast, until I finally understood - The mainland is lovely, South America has wonderful options, but there was something missing for me. Looking back, I ALWAYS made time to get to Coz, if even for a day or two inside a non-diving vacation. It seems 'IT' was Cozumel allll along :)

I've been lucky enough to make some friends, both locals and ex-pats who I sincerely enjoy. I spend as much time as I can on the island. It's not much, but even when things go wrong, or I can't dive, or the weather is bad....I feel at peace. Coz allows me to slow down, appreciate what I have and most importantly the island and it's people have taught me to laugh and regroup when things don't go according to plan. Nothing is perfect, and things are much, much different in Mexico. Being on an island throws a whole different set of problems at you, but I look forward (under 5000 days!) to the time I can pack my bag and go home for good.

Diver Kat:
There's just something about the island that makes you want to come back again and again.

Don't let her kid ya! Its the chance she might see me!
Dream on!! You've been avoiding me for years .... you must be afraid of being on the boat with me & Alison together .... even Carlos can't protect you then! :eyebrow:

Ha... I'm still wondering what will bring me there the first time! I'm not a big fan of drift diving, especially in strong currents which make filming difficult.

Ha... I'm still wondering what will bring me there the first time! I'm not a big fan of drift diving, especially in strong currents which make filming difficult.
First of all, it's a dive mecca. Some of the best diving in the Caribbean, definitely a bucket list item.

Second, not all the dives are high-speed drifts. There are plenty of slow drifts and quite often very little current at all. Filming in Columbia Shallows with a slow drift would be an almost perfect setting.

Third, it's a challenge. Filming in optimal conditions makes you lazy. In June, I dove seven days there shooting nothing but macro. Not always easy, but I believe the results were worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom