What stung me? (Picture Posted)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbuff:
One of the first things to capture my imagination when I started diving was how so many "plant-like" things were actually animals... one of those bizarre, slightly twisted things I like about marine life: forms a bit "off" from terrestrial life. And the weirder the critter, the more I like it :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. (I have many more if your are every interested. LOL) It is amazing that these "plant like" things are animals!

I enjoy identifying plants, trees, birds, insects, etc. and find them very interesting. But these living things beneath the sea are unbelievable!

You really need to take a trip to Cozumel someday. I'm fortunate to live near Houston, Texas so I can get inexpensive flights there. My husband and I go nearly year. I just wish I could do it more often, but with kids and all you have to put those priorities first.

got4boyz:
but with kids and all you have to put those priorities first.
I'm with ya Beth. I got my kids up for sale now! :D But then they LOOK like animals but act more like plants... potatoes that is! :D

:rofl:

Somedays I could easily just give mine away!

If its any consilation, my girlfriend and I were in Cozumel from april 9th to 17th, we both got stung by the stinging bush hydroid that was in the photograph. We had really bad welts on our ankles, knees, and hands (we only ran into them for a second, but they were everywhere, and they were quite large). We do a lot of macro-photography and the current pushed us into them.

Anyhow, the welts developed over 1-4 days, and the itching was the worst 3-6 days after first contact. I recommend lots of benedryl. They are clearing up now, 2 weeks later.

I hope you feel better.

BTW, the very best first aid for this is COMPLETE AVOIDANCE. I strongly suggest that you practice and perfect your neutral buoyancy and trim in a pool BEFORE you go on a big trip. This is especially important if this is your first dive in a while. Let's face it... this and other hydroids (like fire coral) are completely avoidable (even in heavy surge)IF you can achieve neutral buoyancy and proper trim. You don't have to take a chance of ruining your trip with a chance encounter. Do the time in the pool and save yourself the agony. You will also join the ranks of those who are comfortable under the water and actually look competent there. :D

ayup... in the words of Shakespeare, it out-Herods Herod; pray you, avoid it...

NetDoc:
BTW, the very best first aid for this is COMPLETE AVOIDANCE. I strongly suggest that you practice and perfect your neutral buoyancy and trim in a pool BEFORE you go on a big trip. This is especially important if this is your first dive in a while. Let's face it... this and other hydroids (like fire coral) are completely avoidable (even in heavy surge)IF you can achieve neutral buoyancy and proper trim. You don't have to take a chance of ruining your trip with a chance encounter. Do the time in the pool and save yourself the agony. You will also join the ranks of those who are comfortable under the water and actually look competent there. :D

well said, avoidance is the best medicine...

Back
Top Bottom