What Support Equipment for CC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started on my CCR this fall....

Bailout tanks and regs, 2 40s and 2 80s.
Drysuit bottle and transfill whip
Any specialty tools needed to work on the unit
At least 1 set of extra tanks for the RB.
Warmer drysuit undies...

I started on my CCR this fall....

Bailout tanks and regs, 2 40s and 2 80s.
Drysuit bottle and transfill whip
Any specialty tools needed to work on the unit
At least 1 set of extra tanks for the RB.
Warmer drysuit undies...
That is a real good starting point. To the OP, follow the above. That will get you started and diving. The other stuff we talked about, that is a matter of time and available money. Don't worry about it up front.

Support equipment for deep CCR

Divesoft Analyzer-required, not option, do not pass go, do not collect $200
2 sets of onboard tanks-one filled with 12/65 ish, the other with nitrox for shallower stuff, pair of O2 bottles
Drysuit inflation bottle, likely 2 with transfer whip
Bailout to get back from depth-SWAG says 4x AL80's and 2x AL40's. You mentioned 250ft, so 30mins down there means you'll need an AL80 of bottom mix, one of something around 30/30 or 35/25, one of 50%, and one of O2. You'll also want at least a pair of AL40's for shorter/shallower dives, one with O2, the other with something like EAN32 in it.
Full spares kits of O-Rings, batteries, regulators, etc. Need at least one spare stage regulator set, and one spare first stage for the unit itself. It prevents missed dives and then you rebuild later.

You'll want a booster of some variety especially if you have your own boat since getting fills at dive shops are annoying. This means that you'll also need/want a set of doubles with 12/65 ish *could be 15/55 or 10/70, whatever* to boost your dil from, and you'll probably want to get your own T bottle of O2 which will let you get EAN32 fills and boost up for 50% and to keep your O2 bottles topped off.

I'm sure I'm missing something

Don't worry about looking for everything on the list right now. When the time comes you will find what you need.

This.

You're thinking about all the right stuff, but if I understood correctly, you're just starting CCR training? If so, I'd keep researching but buy nothing that you're not 100% sure you need right then, or you will waste a ton of money. I can't tell you how many things that sound like great ideas will prove to be unnecessary or worse once you develop enough experience to judge for yourself. I know it's tempting to want to complete the full kit, but I would not get ahead of what you need for your immediate needs based on advice from a good instructor.

I'm sure I'm missing something

How about a starter list?

For someone starting there first class on a rebreather do you really expect them to need all the deep gear right away? Spare 1st stages, get those over time. Don't need those to start class.

Realistically for my first class I showed up with mask, fins, drysuit, AL40 full of air for the bailout and suit gas, and a keg of sorb. Add in the rebreather. That is how the pool and first ocean dives were done.

Second set of rebreather bottles were the first addition (got a deal as I started class). There is enough to learn about a rebreather that you don't need everything the first day or typically even the first class.

Again, goes back to talking with the instructor. You really need to have good communication with them. Unlike the follow the 3 easy steps PADI instructors, the rebreather instructors will vary a bit in how each teaches. Look at your history, etc.

@broncobowsher he was asking for 3 hour dives and depths of 250ft so that was the list that I'd call necessary to do those dives.

Starter kit
second set of onboard bottles-lets you go to shop every other day, or especially as a beginning CCR diver who is likely going to be very inefficient on dil/o2 use, that you can do a pair of decent dives a day without worry. That's worth a few hundred bucks for the convenience. Transfill whip would be the alternate so you can transfill out of your dil/deco bottles so pick one or the other to start.

I would keep the spares kit as well since you never know which o-rings are going to be angry

OHOHOHOHOH!!! SUPER IMPORTANT THAT I FORGOT!!!!
I can't believe I forgot this. SPARE OPV's!!!!! LOTS of them!
EVERY SINGLE OPV sucks except the ones built into Poseidon first stages. They all leak. Every CCR diver ignores leaking OPV's on their first stages because they all always leak.
Keep like 2-3 of these things in your save a dive kit if you don't want those to leak, especially when diving deep
Over-Pressure Relief Valve (User Adjustable)

@broncobowsher he was asking for 3 hour dives and depths of 250ft so that was the list that I'd call necessary to do those dives.

Starter kit
second set of onboard bottles-lets you go to shop every other day, or especially as a beginning CCR diver who is likely going to be very inefficient on dil/o2 use, that you can do a pair of decent dives a day without worry. That's worth a few hundred bucks for the convenience. Transfill whip would be the alternate so you can transfill out of your dil/deco bottles so pick one or the other to start.

I would keep the spares kit as well since you never know which o-rings are going to be angry

OHOHOHOHOH!!! SUPER IMPORTANT THAT I FORGOT!!!!
I can't believe I forgot this. SPARE OPV's!!!!! LOTS of them!
EVERY SINGLE OPV sucks except the ones built into Poseidon first stages. They all leak. Every CCR diver ignores leaking OPV's on their first stages because they all always leak.
Keep like 2-3 of these things in your save a dive kit if you don't want those to leak, especially when diving deep
Over-Pressure Relief Valve (User Adjustable)
I've had better experience with the XS Scuba Rebuild-able ones, but still keep a 5pack of the above in my kit.

I've had better experience with the XS Scuba Rebuild-able ones, but still keep a 5pack of the above in my kit.

yeah whatever rebuildable ones are usually better, but they all inevitably suck so I use Poseidon first stages and call it a day, but yeah it's a necessary evil which is why most ccr divers just don't care about them leaking...

People with way more CCR experience than I'll ever attain have told me al72's are awesome for bail out. If you are starting from scratch with 80s and 40s, I might just go straight to 72s.

Also, if you are looking for CCR buddies once you get certified, let me know! Since moving to a university dive program, and stopped doing research dives, mine has been gathering dust. It's been in the middle of annual maintenance for the last year :). I'm down in Galveston.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom