What the heck is this thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took a pic of this and have video of it but can't figure out how to link to or post the video. Long story short, this was a HOLLOW tube of spawn/eggs about 1 foot in diameter and probably 9 feet long... I thought it was a big piece of plastic that had lodged on the reef in the current but as I got closer it was no plastic. Some research seems to indicate it is an egg mass from a larger squid of some sort. Anyone ever seen one of these crazy things? The current was moving and one would think it would just fly apart but the entire spiral mass must have been held together with some sort of "spawn glue"... Looked like a giant underwater wind sock blowing in the current. 14-15 years of diving and I've never seen anything like this.

PC230598.JPG

Thank you. for the replies... Looking at the provided video and pics this was definitely an egg mass based on the transparent qualities and presence of all those little eggs. I need to figure out how to link the video here for all to see this thing... If only I had pics/footage of it with a diver in the frame that would provide scale so all can appreciate the size of this crazy thing. It was capital "B" BIG!

Squid egg mass?
Here are some pictures of others:
squid egg mass - Google Search:

Yes.. That's just what it looked like. Too bad you had to get back to work and couldn't hang out a few more days to see this thing. Then again, you would have missed it anyway probing those deep and dark holes hunting lions!

Yes.. That's just what it looked like. Too bad you had to get back to work and couldn't hang out a few more days to see this thing. Then again, you would have missed it anyway probing those deep and dark holes hunting lions!
Saw one this morning in Curacao and asked about it.

Back
Top Bottom