What the hell just happened ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In this post someone else posted as me, while the post he quoted ... which I wrote ... showed up as having been posted by Dumpster Diver. The post where I originally made that statement seems to have disappeared.

It's concerning to me that someone else can post something under my name and profile ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In this post someone else posted as me, while the post he quoted ... which I wrote ... showed up as having been posted by Dumpster Diver. The post where I originally made that statement seems to have disappeared.

It's concerning to me that someone else can post something under my name and profile ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Like this?

Hi Bob.

Can you post a screen shot of your post, that you didn't make, or tell me how many posts per page you display? If you have more than 10 per page, then your permalink is wrong.

Thanks.

Here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...5653-thoughts-bounce-dives-9.html#post7532247

Clipboard01.jpg

Yeah ... that one. I posted the part quoted as "Originally Posted by dumpsterDiver" ... I have no idea who posted the part represented as coming from me ... but I don't understand how someone else could modify my post like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

According to the database log file. Nobody edited that post (the log shows every edit). If you think someone has access to your account, I'd recommend you change your password. Beyond that, there is nothing that I can do for you here.

Sorry.

Might be unrelated but this reminds me of something that happened a month or so ago... I was viewing the forum as a guest, I just didn't bother logging in, and at one point I clicked on a thread to read it. When it loaded I was logged in as KevinNM. I've had no contact with him, I was never asked for a password, it just acted as if I was already logged in once the page loaded. I figured it was weird, but I just hit 'logout' and went back to reading.

According to the database log file. Nobody edited that post (the log shows every edit). If you think someone has access to your account, I'd recommend you change your password. Beyond that, there is nothing that I can do for you here.

Sorry.

No, I don't think anyone has access to my account. I think it's a database error ... and a rather concerning one.

My original reply ... which was that post ... quoted a video from DumpsterDiver, and my reply was the part of the existing post that's now attributed to DD. When I initially posted it the post appeared as I would expect it to. Later, when I went back to the thread, it showed up as it does now. I think someone else replied to my post, but instead of creating a new reply it simply "pushed" my words up inside the quote tags and put the replier's words where mine used to be ... the video originally quoted is no longer part of the reply ... it got pushed off the page.

I don't think it's unrelated to Pinecube's experience at all ... I think there's a bug in the software that occasionally logs a user in as someone else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Like this?

JohnN, it would be helpful to know how you did post #2.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 12:56 PM ----------

Might be unrelated but this reminds me of something that happened a month or so ago... I was viewing the forum as a guest, I just didn't bother logging in, and at one point I clicked on a thread to read it. When it loaded I was logged in as KevinNM. I've had no contact with him, I was never asked for a password, it just acted as if I was already logged in once the page loaded. I figured it was weird, but I just hit 'logout' and went back to reading.

I figured it out, and just attributed to Bob a post that was actually made by Pinecube. It's just a matter of fooling around with the HTML tags when you're posting with a quote. Anybody could actually do it any time if they're remotely technically inclined and have a few extra seconds to waste. It's nothing to do with the SB system. You could do this on any Internet forum. Hopefully, people are generally grown-up enough not to. :shakehead:

This doesn't explain Pinecube's experience of finding him/herself logged in as someone else though, or someone able to make an original post through another user's account, as happened to Bob.

Last edited:
Anyway ... I just got a plausible explanation from the person who posted the words attributed to me. No further explanation needed ... I think I know what happened, and how. Honest mistake by someone with the power to make it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom