What the volume of my Twin 2015 psi Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leicamshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I just picked up a pair of twins steel black tanks with scubapro boots and a scubapro harness. I thought they were 38's but now I'm not so sure reading the posts. Here are the markings:

DOT-3AA 2015
HM 40292
B74 +

I think they were made in 1974? They have a manifold with no J-valve. I have this question posted on the Vintage Double Hose forum as well. The tanks have a fresh hydro of 7/11. Wondering what you can tell me?

Thanks for the help!
Gonzalo

I had a similar set of healthways 2015 psi doubles - 45 cu ft each. I would not be surprised if Scubapro sold the same tanks in the mid 70s - but lots of divers added Scubapro boots and stickers to other brands of tanks.

From the 1976 Scubapro catalog:
45 TANK, SINGLE 3/4"
FOR COMPACT DIVERS -- Holds 45 cubic feet of air at 2216 psi (2015 psi "working" pressure), 19" tall, 22 lbs., steel. Choice of galvanized exterior or galvanized exterior with black epoxy coating. Choice of no valve, High Pressure Valve with integral gauge (Cat. No. 151) or Depth Compensated Adjustable Reserve Valve with integral gauge (Cat. No. 153)....
For their doubles, here's what they say:
45 TANK, DOUBLE
LARGE COMPACT AIR SUPPLY -- Holds 90 cubic feet of air at 2216 psi (2015 psi "working" pressure), includes SCUBAPRO Contour ScubaPak Twin Tank Harness (Cat. No. 182). Choice of galvanized exterior or galvanized exterior with black epoxy coating. Choice of Choice of High Pressure Twin Manifold (Cat. No. 155) or Constant Reserve Twin Manifold (Cat. No. 156)....

It sounds like you have the Scubapro 45 double tanks. That's a great setup. I see from the catalog that they have a great manifold too, with a HP port for a gauge. That is really great for using the vintage double hose regulators like the USD Mistral too.

I have a pair of twin 45s from Sherwood, and they are still my favorite set.

SeaRat

Yes. 45 Cu ft it is. I also confirmed it in the Scubapro 1976 catalog. Than you guys for the help. I will be using these with my DW Mistral. I was a bit worried about the weight walking down from the parking lot to the beach, but others seem to manage it well. Sounds like the 45's trim out well underwater too.

Regards,
Gonzalo

I don't know about the ScubaPro, but my Healthways twin 50s also require a few extra pounds on my belt as they are more buoyant than a steel 72. However, they are 1800 psi, not 2015. Your 2015s may be perfect. Experiment.

Either way, the cool factor, trim, and regulator positioning (if you have the yoke turned down as it should be) more than make up for the hassle of carrying a little extra weight getting into and out of the water. Now, disassembly, assembly, double hydros and visuals, and the occasional double fill charged at some shops are other matters, but it's all in the price of a labor of love!

Back
Top Bottom