what the???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjpell

Contributor
Reaction score
Grand Rapids, Michigan / Portland, Oregon / Ft. La
# of dives
100 - 199
What the...
2.jpg

3.jpg

Any ideas on what this cute little feller is?

Ok, here is the video of my dive buddy molesting it. I hope the vid works its the first I have tried to put online.:wink:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/56149/cat/1815

How big is it?

Man, I admit I have no clue!

Glad you put it up for identification!

I guess it could be described as a BIG snail. Where it's shell would be was, instead, folded up 'wings' that flapped about in the cross-currents. It was not graceful.

The top picture shows the underside of its head, with its antennae. I guess that's my 5mm glove around it, very gently stabilizing it to get a good shot.

It was a floppy, seemingly invetebrate creature, so the half-gallon size sounds about right. :D

The wings, when spread open, revealed a hump on its back of the same color the 'thing' is. Its wings did not seem to aid it very much in propulsion (not like a ray's). The wings seemed to stay tucked in more than spread out despite it working very hard to get anywhere (that, or it was struggling in the throes of death, which I hoped it wasn't)

Overall length, I'd say, was 10 to 12 inches, but that's in its natural state. I didn't try to stretch it out to measure the real length.

I never saw the blue-ish underside, was that visible under the water from your angle bjpell?

Best,

GD

Looks like a seahare-type (like the ones in California) nudibrach. The colour seems different though. The flailing around is how they swim when they are disturbed (like a spanish dancer). We have lots of big nudibranchs that size up here in British Columbia and they act the same way.

Yeah, I believe Swank's on the right track. That looks like a sea hare, and the (quite detailed) text descriptors seem to match up. Anaspids (sea hares) have a pair of "wings" dorsally, and that "hump" hides a thin but pretty large internal shell.

I'm surprised it didn't ink all over you when you grabbed it. I thought all sea hares like to do that.

Leslie or Bill will chime in soon and conclusively verify. I suck at Pacific coast stuff.

Back
Top Bottom