What to do when your dive boat sinks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw a story about a Cozumel dive boat sinking and thought of previous dive briefings when the operator says "and if the boat sinks this becomes a wreck dive" - and it didn't feel quite so funny while reading about a real boat sinking (no fatalities - some minor injuries). So I began to wonder, what are you really supposed to do if your dive boat starts to sink? I've always imagined that I'd grab my gear, don it and be ready to enter the water. But this story says the boat was under water in about 50 seconds. I don't know if I'd be close enough to my gear (maybe I'd be getting a drink of water or a cookie) or if I'd have the presence of mind to grab my gear when the dive master is telling everyone to throw their weights over the side (as in the story).

So what is the recommended plan of action? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.

If I'm on a dive boat when on vacation, I'd put a lifejacket on and listen to the captian's advice or emergency procedures. If I'm somewhere cold and it's a slow sink, I'd ideally be able to get my wetsuit on. Sitting in 55 degree water for an hour while waiting for help would be MISERABLE, and dangerous. Gear would be the last thing on my mind haha.

If it's my personal boat that is sinking, I'd handle it differently. First call in my location to the Coast Guard get the bilge pumping and open the engine compartment to start sucking water out with my handle pump bilge (super soaker gun). I'd really be trying to save the boat at this point. But if the engine still runs and I can move, be-line it relatively close to some sort of shore. That way I can either beach it or sink close enough to shore that everyone on board can swim to shore.

Safety first, valuable possessions second.

Only close call I've had is when I was fishing for yellowtail about 5-6 miles offshore. Was 3-4 ft waves when we went out but the forecast called for a big swell the next day due to a storm. I was stupid to be out there knowing a storm was on the horizon.... And guess what happened? The storm hit a day early.... 25 MPH winds and swells got 6-7 ft. And of course, the boat breaks down....

I had limited bilge time because the battery would eventually run out and I didn't have a super soaker to pump water out, and I was taking on a good amount of water from being out in those conditions in a 21 footer. First thing I did was call in my location while we got to work on the boat. We got it started (I accidently flipped some worthless kill switch on the boat, no actual problem hahahaha) and I was able to cruise home. I was too shaken up to keep fishing.

But I can tell you the LAST thing on my mind was my fishing gear, which was about $1.5K worth.

Ahh. Yaa I'd for sure go for a wetsuit and fins if possible.

In a 50 second situation I'd probably grab a pfd, my BCD and fins in that order. If none of that is possible I'd swim 200 yards/meters to shore or the nearest boat--any stroke allowed (no stopping or touching the bottom). That's why we did it in OW course, no?

If I'm on a dive boat when on vacation, I'd put a lifejacket on and listen to the captian's advice or emergency procedures. If I'm somewhere cold and it's a slow sink, I'd ideally be able to get my wetsuit on. Gear would be the last thing on my mind haha.
It's not about the cost - you're safer in your dive gear than in just a lifejacket. Tourist style BCD are essentially lifejackets.

But it takes so much more time to put dive gear on that, realistically, it's hard to imagine a situation where you'd do that. If the boat is sinking fast, get the jacket. If it's sinking so slowly you have the time to get dive gear, you're most likely able to use it to try and save the boat.

Both times I was on boats taking on water and in danger of sinking, getting into dive gear wasn't really an available option, too much else to do. You rarely sink on a nice day. On a bad one, it's going to take time to get the gear and then you'd be essentially immobilized by it. Plus, what you really want is to keep the boat afloat, it's far safer than in the water in any gear.

What I'd definitely do, if it wasn't much effort, is keep the gear assembled and inflate the BCD. That way it will stay afloat if the boat does sink, and then you can make use of it. In the meanwhile, get the lifejacket on and address more urgent priorities.

P.S. Priorities change in cold water, though. If you have a drysuit, get it on ASAP - these things save lives in maritime operations and have non-diving versions just for that.

My initial thought would be to grab my BCD, configured to dive or not, forcefully encourage my family to do the same, put in three or four manual breaths if not configured to dive and start listening to the crew.

I realize that listening to the crew should go higher on the list but in a 50 second window, getting my family "floatable" would be key for me. The BCD doesn't have to be donned, just inflated and ready to toss overboard. After getting in the water, ditching weights would precede donning of the BCD. Not saying that it is right, but probably what I'd do.

I saw a story about a Cozumel dive boat sinking and thought of previous dive briefings when the operator says "and if the boat sinks this becomes a wreck dive"

Was that 50 seconds from when "the water was up to his ankles" and DM was still giving a dive briefing? I mean come on. If it starts filling up with water at the rate that'll sink it in 50 seconds, you jump off and swim clear. (But if you happen to be holding on to your freshly changed gear, pull it out of the holder, jump overboard with it, and do a wreck dive.)

Listening to the crew telling you get into the covered stern section while water is coming in from the other end would be the last thing on my list.

Back
Top Bottom