What to do when your dive boat sinks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know the last time a dive boat actually sank, leaving people in the water?

Does a single passenger rubber dingle count as a dive boat? If so: last summer.

Cameron

---Subscript ---

In answer to the initial question: If I'm going to be on the water, I'd like as much of my dive gear with me as possible. Can always ditch it later.

"[USER=128490:
@T.C.[/USER], post: 8189421, member: 128490

"]Does anyone know the last time a dive boat actually sank, leaving people in the water?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post #37
The very first dive boat to sink was the "SCUBA" (yep that was the name) in 1958 off Catalina Island.

It was a lovely day for diving -all divers were in the water and underwater -dispersed around the boat California style then the Santa Ana winds began blowing into the island ...
There was no diver recall at that time so the skipper had to ride out the wind all the time sending May Day and dragging anchor right up to the shore on to the beach where the SCUBNA broke up.

The diver surfaced no boat! the jettisoned their SCUBA equipment (at that time called "lungs) swam to shore " where they awaited recue.

I was not on the boat but knew several divers who involved were including the Captain and the deck hand

SDM

This kinda depends on where you are. Cozumel... no biggie. Grab something that floats, your valuables and go swimming. There's so much boat traffic, you'll be back in time for lunch.

If it happens in Tobermory in May on a Wednesday, if you aren't in your drysuit, or a liferaft, you're going to incapacitated by the cold in a very few minutes, and dead shortly thereafter, so that's a pretty big difference. PFDs up here merely keep the bodies floating for later retrieval.

I dive from my own boat most of the time. Keeping it on top of the water is something I try really hard to do...

Last edited:
Good idea, but you most likely have the wetsuit on--if not, would you attempt to put it on in the water if a long way from land?

It would be the first thing i would put on if i were not wearing it already.

A lot of replies stress "listen to the crew" ... and, pending on the crew I would very much tend to agree, except there are several caveats:
1.) At that point it's the same crew that failed to keep the boat afloat.
2..) Isn't there quite a track record of crew (captains) making hortid decisions, isduing quite fatal unstructions? (Titanic, Concordia, Sewol, ...)

In other words: I am not so sure that listening to the crew (to those who already may have demonstrated errors in judgement or worse, those who might be guided by who a reason to cover up something) is always the right advice.

I would say: Keep your wits and listen, but have some basic "seamanship knowledge and skills" and if need be judge for yourself - especially if it really does not feel right... because it isn't always right...

I also think that there is nothing wrong with having your own PLB and maybe radio.

It would be the first thing i would put on if i were not wearing it already.
Agree. Putting on a 7 mil farmer john suit while in cold water (or any water) is unfortunately something one will never practice.

A lot of replies stress "listen to the crew" ... and, pending on the crew I would very much tend to agree, except there are several caveats:
1.) At that point it's the same crew that failed to keep the boat afloat.
2..) Isn't there quite a track record of crew (captains) making hortid decisions, isduing quite fatal unstructions? (Titanic, Concordia, Sewol, ...)
Three examples do not make a track record. There is a far greater track record of crews safely and quickly evacuating the people on the boat without injury. The very fact of the matter is that the crew is the best ones who know the boat, its abilities, and rescue procedures. There is no proof that the crew failed- boats sink from accidents and unpreventable causes.

Failing to listen to the crew may mean that you are the one causing a problem or not getting off in a timely manner.

Failing to listen to the crew may mean that you are the one causing a problem or not getting off in a timely manner.
Obviously I beg to differ.
If an idiotic order is issued that I recognize to put my life (and / or that of my family or others) at considerably greater risk than a very reasonable alternative (that endangers no one), I will make my choice based on my judgement... every time... thank you very much.

BTW, where did I indicate I would fail to listen? I listen rather well. I just judge what I hear. If it makes sense it's all good. If it makes less sense but does not hurt, it is still all good.

But If e.g. the good captain of the ficticious LOB asks from the helm on the top deck for everyone to stay put so the crew can figure out what is going on before having bothered to notice that toxic smoke is spreading down below I will certainly not stay down below and encourage others to leave as well... just as an example... (I might yell fire and get the fire extinguisher too w/o waiting for orders first...)

I was not making (at least did not mean to) the point that orders should not be followed. I would agree that the vast majority of orders issued in such cases do not fall in a category of orders that should either not be followed ... or more often that have not been issued. But those categories do exist and I am making the point that awareness and good judgement should never be suspended.

Yes, I gave some examples from the back of my head.
I did not give them to argue there is a trend.
I did not argue there is a trend either.
You need not implicitly put words like that into my mouth.

Furthermore, there is no guaranty what happens if a panic sets in etc.
In theory and often in practise a trained crew will keep a considerably cooler head than passengers. Not always. Not all crew. Nothing wrong with recognizing if someone is still in control or if he / she is paniced and out of control and acting accordingly...

That said, I am all for following the orders of a cool headed crew in control of a situation. But I do indeed deem it very important to not completely blindly trust everything when things just don't add up.

... and on a side note: I trusy nobody got the idea from this thread to start to go down below after abandon ship orders were issued to get his /her passport, blocking an escape route in the process. If that's a concern have what you deem you really need on you to begin with or get it at the very first sign of trouble...

BTW, where did I indicate I would fail to listen?
I did not intend to indicate that you would fail to listen. I meant that as a general statement, not a personal one, and for not making that distinction clear, I apologize.
Obviously I beg to differ.
If an idiotic order is issued that I recognize to put my life (and / or that of my family or others) at considerably greater risk than a very reasonable alternative (that endangers no one), I will make my choice based on my judgement... every time... thank you very much.
Then this begs the question; on what is your judgement based? Do you have a maritime background? Do you have knowledge of the situation, and the capabilities and limitations of the craft you're on? If you do, then by all means, use your judgement. If not, it may be better to listen to the experts.

I am not a sailor, and I don't know the actions of the crew. I am more apt to follow their orders unless such events as they're sailing off as the water rises in my cabin. :)

But If e.g. the good captain of the ficticious LOB asks from the helm on the top deck for everyone to stay put so the crew can figure out what is going on before having bothered to notice that toxic smoke is spreading down below I will certainly not stay down below and encourage others to leave as well... just as an example... (I might yell fire and get the fire extinguisher too w/o waiting for orders first...).
As a flip to this:
What if the Captain wants you to stay put to not hinder the crew as they move through the passageway in fire gear with a 4" fire line?
What if the Captain sees that the smoke is much thicker in the hall, and that while they ventilate, you're safer in the cabin- where you can open a window?
What if yelling Fire has the predictable reaction of inciting panic in the other passengers?
What if the crew is counting on using that fire extinguisher to fight a fire?

While evacuating to the main deck may be a reasonable course of action, grabbing the fire extinguisher for any reason other than to put out another person is not. You should not be trying to fight the fire. Your duty is to yourself an others; not the boat. That's the crew's duty. If the crew has abandoned their duties, then you trying to fill in for them will have negligible effect. If they have not; then you will form an obstacle.

I did not give them to argue there is a trend. I did not argue there is a trend either. You need not implicitly put words like that into my mouth.
I beg to differ; you did state that there is "quite a track record". That is attempting to set a trend. I was responding to what you said, as 'track record' is the same as setting a trend.

... and on a side note: I trusy nobody got the idea from this thread to start to go down below after abandon ship orders were issued to get his /her passport, blocking an escape route in the process. If that's a concern have what you deem you really need on you to begin with or get it at the very first sign of trouble...
That is a good point that can't be stated enough, attempting to retrieve any sort of personal belongings is quite unnecessary. If you can't grab it in the first seconds of getting dressed and leaving your cabin, then it's gone forever.

I did not intend to indicate that you would fail to listen. I meant that as a general statement, not a personal one, and for not making that distinction clear, I apologize.

Then this begs the question; on what is your judgement based? Do you have a maritime background? Do you have knowledge of the situation, and the capabilities and limitations of the craft you're on? If you do, then by all means, use your judgement. If not, it may be better to listen to the experts.

I am not a sailor, and I don't know the actions of the crew. I am more apt to follow their orders unless such events as they're sailing off as the water rises in my cabin. :)

As a flip to this:
What if the Captain wants you to stay put to not hinder the crew as they move through the passageway in fire gear with a 4" fire line?
What if the Captain sees that the smoke is much thicker in the hall, and that while they ventilate, you're safer in the cabin- where you can open a window?
What if yelling Fire has the predictable reaction of inciting panic in the other passengers?
What if the crew is counting on using that fire extinguisher to fight a fire?

While evacuating to the main deck may be a reasonable course of action, grabbing the fire extinguisher for any reason other than to put out another person is not. You should not be trying to fight the fire. Your duty is to yourself an others; not the boat. That's the crew's duty. If the crew has abandoned their duties, then you trying to fill in for them will have negligible effect. If they have not; then you will form an obstacle.

I beg to differ; you did state that there is "quite a track record". That is attempting to set a trend. I was responding to what you said, as 'track record' is the same as setting a trend.

That is a good point that can't be stated enough, attempting to retrieve any sort of personal belongings is quite unnecessary. If you can't grab it in the first seconds of getting dressed and leaving your cabin, then it's gone forever.
Well, OK,
we are just going to differ in some areas then. e.g. I will always get out of an enclosef area with toxic smoke if not equipped with a breathing apparatus of some sort... period. Yep, sure, if there is no evacuation route that presents a problem... but, while it may not matter I would then sort of count that as strike 2 or three against that crew and their credibility would be close to nil.... Should never happen, but...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom