What to do with HP119 tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm putting this in the advanced section, since its probably a better question for more advanced divers. Last year, I got a very sweet deal on two High Pressure Steel tanks. One is an HP100, and the other is an HP119. I paid $100 each. I took them straight over to my LDS, and had them Hydro'd, and they came out just fine.

Since buying them, I've never used the 119. Its big, and heavy. I'm a tiny guy, and know my limitations. I've held on to it with the thought that I may want to use it when I go boat diving. But that has not come to fruition.

Now I'm at a crossroad. The tank is out getting VIP'd right now. Assuming it comes back fine, which it should since its not been in the water even once since its hydro, I need to decide what to do with it. I think my options are a) Keep it in case I ever want to use it, b) sell it, c) trade it for an HP100, or d) trade it for something else.

I'm 40 dives in to my career. I have my Rescue cert, and am working on Divemaster. I'm also planning to eventually do tec, but that could be a few years still down the road.

Never sell a tank. If you stick with diving at some point you'll need it.

I should add that I have 3 LP72's as well, along with a few ponies. I have plenty of tanks.

I have tons of tanks and my philosophy is never sell steel, they pretty much last forever unless you get salt water into tank and rust out. Alum. tanks are different, I just keep enough for pool and students and sell off balance. If I were you I would hold onto HP119 until a trade comes up for a HP100 or LP85. The LP72's are good if you are thinking about doine sidemount training.

Trade for something you need. Or sell and rebuy used. No point having something unsuitable for you when someone else will love it... Says the guy who loves his pair of lp131 tanks.

Cheers,
Cameron

It's all a matter of what kind of diving you like to do, but I'd heed the advice of those who suggest you hang onto it. With only 40 dives, you're likely to eventually reach the point where longer, deeper dives interest you ... at which point the 100 might be too small a tank for the dives you want to do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Buy a transfer whip and keep your HP119 topped off at all times. You will come to appreciate it.

Genius. That sounds like a brilliant idea as I can use it for my ponies.

Not my genius. Good advice from friends in my past.

Use it to make yourself feel better when you get a short HP fill and then, yes, as it drops use it to top off ponies.

Don't waste the HP on ponies...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom