What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bryanmc57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't been to Bonaire yet but am seriously considering a trip with my wife next year. The one thing that seems to be repeated regularly is "Don't leave anything in the truck". So what does everyone do with things lige eyeglasses, sunglasses etc that you probably wouldn't take on a dive with you?

I buy sunglasses from Dollar Tree, bring a t-shirt that is ready for goodwill, and a bottle of sunscreen that is almost empty. All this junk gets left in plain sight.

I have tucked my glasses away out of sight or carried them in a bcd pocket.

Take it down with you. On your dive outings take a dirt cheap pair of sunglasses and stick them in your BC pocket. Buy a "water wallet" (hard waterproof case about the size of a pack of cigarettes, available at most dive shops, worn on a neck cord under your wetsuit) for your cash and credit cards. They'll probably leave your shorts and t-shirts alone. There's not much you really need on a Bonaire road trip.

I also wear prescription glasses. I have an old pair of wire rim glasses that I call my "underwater" glasses. They go down in the BC pocket.

Car break-ins are not exclusive to Bonaire. I use a water wallet on all my shore dives.

Bonaire is a great dive destination. Beautiful diving, but be alert when traveling around the island. Personally, I chose to stay around the resort after dark. There was good night diving right off the resort's dock.

Last edited:
We use BC cash!
$100 worth of $20 bills in the bottom of the weight pockets comes in handy if you stop for a quick bite and a few beers at a "snack"

I wear cheap-o sunglasses, a visor, cheap flip-flops as well as the t-shirt that I dive with. We leave the small things under a few tanks that are in their 2x4 wood frames that hold the tanks when travelling. No one wants to bring attention to themselves rifling through loud banging tanks

Most times, I don't ever have the windows up for the entire vacation. Cross winds can be a good thing on a hot island :)

Harbor Freight $2 shaded safety glasses, a little cash in a BC pocket, truck key carabiner clipped into a pocket.

truck key carabiner clipped into a pocket.

Don't do this. Go to HD or Lowes and get a stainless "quick link". It looks like a link of chain and has a screw closure. Put your keys on the quick link and put the quick link on a d-ring or on a ring in you pocket.

Carabiners can come unclipped in your pocket and keys disappear on the once-in-blue moon occasion you go rooting around in your pocket.

Don't ask me how I know this. I think someone may have told me.

Everything that has already been stated and don't lock your doors or keep windows rolled up on the truck. It just invites someone to assume there is something of value and break your windows to find out.

Stuff your T-shirts, sunglasses, sandals, shorts & towels in a grocery bag, pop up the rental car hood, shove the bag in any open space inside engine compartment, slam down the hood, and go diving.

Don't do this. Go to HD or Lowes and get a stainless "quick link". It looks like a link of chain and has a screw closure. Put your keys on the quick link and put the quick link on a d-ring or on a ring in you pocket.

Carabiners can come unclipped in your pocket and keys disappear on the once-in-blue moon occasion you go rooting around in your pocket.

Don't ask me how I know this. I think someone may have told me.
My beaners lock :wink:

I think we took the keys down with us and left everything else in the truck. The most valuable thing being a couple of "just in case" bills in a seat pocket or someplace else out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom