What to expect on a checkout dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juardis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I keep seeing the term "checkout dive" used in ways that confuse me. When I hear checkout dive, I'm thinking it's something you do when you first dive with some operation to let that operation assess your skills. Would that be an accurate definition?

Assuming it is an accurate definition, how are these checkout dives typically performed and what do they look for? Yes, diving 101, but I haven't graduated from diving 100 yet, so bear with me :). Is it as simple as jumping in a pool, making sure you can get neutrally bouyant, clear your mask and your done? Or more involved like they actually take you in the boat to someplace mild, have you jump in and swim around supervised? Do you have to show you can retrieve your regulator? air-share with your buddy? take your mask off and put it back on? Or something else?

thanks

it sounds like they are talking about the actual "open water dives." that is, the dives that you will do in the ocean, reservoir, lake or body of water that you can get to at least 20 feet and swim for at least 15 minutes. while "checkout" could be used to describe what the instructor will be doing with you, you should be able to repeat all the skills you learned in the pool's deep end, less perhaps emergency buoyant ascent.

hope that helps.

--c

Are you asking about checkout dives done as part of your class, or at a resort?

As part of your class, the checkout dives will be open water dives during which you repeat (and practice) all the skills you learned during your confined water (pool) dives.

At a resort, checkout dives are essentially a bouyancy check, to ensure that you're not going to be crashing into the reef. If its a shore diving resort, it may also include some orientation to key landmarks. If you're planning to dive advanced sites, it would also allow the operator to ensure that your skills are up to snuff for that site, although in my (admitedly limited) experience, this sort of skills evaluation is more likely done during a regular open water dive at a less challenging site. For example, from what I have seen, most dive ops on Cozumel don't drop you off on Punta Sur to dive the Devils Throat unless you've dove some other, easier, site withe them so they can judge your skill level.

Checkout dives are not likely to be anything you ought to stress over, but they can certainly be important. In May of this year, we were on a boat at Punta Sur. We were not diving the Devils Throat, but another group did. Our dive plan was to drop to the bottom (111 FSW where we dropped) and simply explore the reef as we worked our way to the shallower portion of the reef. On the same boat were a couple gentlemen from the UK. They hit the water with us, and returned to the boat without ever reaching the bottom. One of them had burned through 2000PSI just trying to get down. Grossly underweighted, but he had insisted that the 6lbs would be enough. The same brothers hit the water with us for a shallow (40FSW) dive on Paradise Reef. With more weight, they both got to the bottom. 15 minutes later they were back on the boat, having burned through their gas. Roto tilling, head up swimming, and hand sculling all played a part. And it was obvious during the SI that neither was interested in listening to suggestions.
Now imagine what could have happened had some dive op dropped them off above the entrance to the Devils Throat without a checkout dive.

If you judge your own skills honestly (and therefore avoid asking for sites you're not ready for) and have basic skills (good enough to pass OW class) you shouldn't need to worry about "check out dives" at all.

I have to do my first resort checkout this December at cocoview. No one in our group will have any trouble as we all have great trim/ buoyancy... But what happens to folks that do the checkout and are horrible? They have paid to dive already and are abroad... Do resorts limit where these divers are allowed to dive, or do they just not let them dive without a DM?

From what I have seen so far, boat captains have a list of several sites they can do in a day. Generally captain's pick, though if everyone is doing well he will take requests. But if some divers on the boat are not good enough during a checkout dive for a particular site, he will choose another, easier site. Also if weather or something makes the dive more difficult he may choose another site. I guess it may depend how bad a person did. But I imagine you'd have to have no skills at all to be turned away after the checkout dive. A danger to everyone is not worth the money for taking a person like that out.

I keep seeing the term "checkout dive" used in ways that confuse me. When I hear checkout dive, I'm thinking it's something you do when you first dive with some operation to let that operation assess your skills. Would that be an accurate definition?

Assuming it is an accurate definition, how are these checkout dives typically performed and what do they look for? Yes, diving 101, but I haven't graduated from diving 100 yet, so bear with me :). Is it as simple as jumping in a pool, making sure you can get neutrally bouyant, clear your mask and your done? Or more involved like they actually take you in the boat to someplace mild, have you jump in and swim around supervised? Do you have to show you can retrieve your regulator? air-share with your buddy? take your mask off and put it back on? Or something else?

thanks

The term checkout dive is used in two ways.

1) the dives you make in open water as part of your certification process

2) the (usually) first dive on an organized trip or series of dives with an operator. In this case, the dive is to make sure all of the equipment is working, properly adjusted, that your weight gets dialed in etc. For the dive leaders it's also a good opportunity to see the level of the group and to get early eyes on potential problems.

R..

Check-out dives are required to get a certification or a specialty card.
After the OWD class and pool sessions a number of dives in open sea, a quary or a lake are required, together with an instructor to certify the drills you've learned in class.
Also, after the class and pool sessions (if any) for each specialty, you need to do one or two dives with an instructor to certify the new specialty. Those are also check-out dives.
If you go to dive to a dive operator and you have your card and your log book showing that your last dive was within the last 6 months, you could dive if your level of experience is ok for the dives you want to do.
If your log book shows that your last dive was more than 6 months ago, then the operator could request a "Scuba Skills Update" and a check-out dive prior to your dives. Again, the dives you want to do should be within your level of experience.

A check-out dive normally refers to a short dive with one of the resort / dive centre staff. It is becoming more common in a lot of areas to have a Divemaster lead you on your dives, but in areas where this isn't the case they will normally give you a check out dive. They will just be checking that you are ok in the water and if you are, great - off you go diving. If they have concerns they may suggest a scuba review and / or advise against more challenging dive sites. It is simply to increase safety and cover the dive centre legally.

I have to do my first resort checkout this December at cocoview. No one in our group will have any trouble as we all have great trim/ buoyancy... But what happens to folks that do the checkout and are horrible? They have paid to dive already and are abroad... Do resorts limit where these divers are allowed to dive, or do they just not let them dive without a DM?
If you "fail" the checkout dives horribly enough the dive op will probably not take you.
If you "fail mildly" youll probably be put in the least experienced group with the restrictions that entail. Probably shallower, calmer and possibly less attractive sites (so that you dont mess up the views on the better sites)..
Personally Ive seen a few divers from the 2nd group, but fortunately not from the 1st. Anyone in the first group shouldnt have been certified in the first place as the resort checkouts is basically just a "light version" of your final cert dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom