What to look for in a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nobody is going to stand behind a knife that has been broken unless it is the handle that broke. A knife is just like anything else..if it breaks with normal use, sorry. Also there is usually a time limit on most things.

I have been going through the same question myself and I think I have it norrowed down to a set of shears. Most people that have a knife say that they don't use them. If they have used them it is usually mono line, shears work great even for steel leaders, according to SB.

Big, pointy and sharp. A knife will cut steel leader if it is sharp and has a leader cutting notch. The EMT shears sound like a great idea also. Some people are of the anti-knife crowd, it hurts their sensebilities. In some types of diving a knife is not really needed but when I learned to dive it was as much a required piece of equipment as was a dive mask. I carry mine and have found it useful to have one, always useful for fending off Padi snorkel Natzis. Please (in general, not anyone specific) do not beat on coral, critters etc. Take only memories, leave only bubbles.
N

Sam308:
I would like to get a knive for diving and am not sure what to look for. Stainless or titanium? Blunt or point?

What is most important?

Thanks,
Sam

Remember one is NOT enough. I usually dive with a small-ish knife on my waistband and a pair of shears in an easily accessable pocket). You probably don't need or want one of those big "strap on the leg" knifes. I bought one and gave it to my teenage son (who thought it was cool).

Sam308:
I would like to get a knive for diving and am not sure what to look for. Stainless or titanium? Blunt or point?

What is most important?

Thanks,
Sam

Most important is ... does the metal take and hold an edge capable of easily cutting whatever you need to cut. Can YOU sharpen the knife when it is dull? Is it tough enough to not break if you use it as a "pry bar" (realistically).

Secondly is the sheath. A simple friction fit (and simple retainer if necessary) is more than sufficient; spring loaded contraptions are a lost knife waiting to happen.

You probably don't need a point. The knife is a tool, not a weapon.

Is the knife large enough to be securely held while being used yet not so large as to be useful as a sword.

Is it "full tang" and can the scales be removed so they don't trap water?

I have a medium sized knife and the few times I really had to use it, I wished it was much bigger rather than smaller - like when the master of a 63ft boat asked me to cut away a 1" diameter rope which had snarled his large prop and tightened until it felt like I was trying to cut a steel bar, a hacksaw would have been much more effective. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom