What to people think of the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divefan99

Reaction score
I've been looking into live aboards to the Galapagos and it seems like there are a ton of choices. Where have people been and what did you think of the trips?:tree:

we went on the aggressor 3 years ago. the best dive trip we have ever been on. i still dream about it. however, conditions can be intimidating for unexperienced divers who are not 100% comfortable in the water. highly recommended.

Aquatic Encounters (Boulder, CO)..outstanding boat and destination.

PM me for other details.

Been several times, including both Aggressors.

Overall, they probably were the best dive trips I've had to date.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Absolutely, consider the Aggressor boats. You will experience the best diving you will ever have. If the thought of seeing a "horde" of hammerheads turns you on, this is the place.

I spent ten days doing boat dives from Puerto Ayora with Mathias Espinosa at www.scubaiguana.com
Great dive outfit

The diving was phenomenal as were the island tours topside. It's like being in a zoo the animal life was so plentiful.

Next time I would like to do a live aboard so as to get out to Wolf and Darwin islands.

I'm going to Galapagos next November.

What water temp. should I expect?

Thanks in advance

Sue

We did the Peter Hughes liveaboard in June '02. Its advantage is that you get a 10 day, rather than 7 day, trip and you get a fair number of land excursions (marine iguanas, giant tortoises) as well as snorkling with penguins.

It is an incredible experience. When it was over, I was exhausted but exhilirated. We went with two other couples with whom we regularly dive. We all said it was a once in a lifetime experience -- and a week later we all were talking about going back!!

As far as water temp, conditions etc. It can vary, both by time of year and where in the Galapagos you are diving. When we were there (June), the early part of the trip was pretty chilly -- as little as 60 degrees at the surface. By the time we got to Wolf and Darwin, the water temp was rising into the lower seventies.

I was chilly at times, but managed to get by with a seven mil suit, 5 mil gloves and a 3 (I think) mil hood. And as has been mentioned, it can be rigorous at times, particularly when you're going against the current.

But you gotta do it....its unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Seth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom