What to use to clean glass dome port, lens and acrylic ports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Audsred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

Was wondering if you could help me out on what to use to clean a glass dome port, Olympus lens and Nauticam 12-50 port? I have several lens cloths (Inon & Canon), & lens cleanser from Canon. I use my housing mainly in salt water and rinse/soak in fresh.

Do I need to use different product for glass vs. acrylic? Mainly I need to remove water spots but sometimes there is a bit of a haze too.

Thanks,
Audrey

Lens cleaning products from lens manufacturers are fine. I personally like the pre-moistened lens cleaning packets which are sold at LensCrafters Optical stores. You may need to fog the camera lens and followup with a micro fiber cleaning cloth as well. Most of the other pre-moistened packet products I have tried from drug stores are too wet.

Another good accessory is a rubber blower build. You can get rid of debris without touching the lens.

After rinsing off your camera and housing, to help prevent water spots, bring a bottle of distilled water to rinse the lens again. Most tap water and especially rinse tank water will have some dissolved salts or minerals. Then either use a microfiber cloth or a blower bulb to remove the water droplets.

Be sure to rinse the dome lens very well before cleaning with any lens cloth. This will prevent scratches from bits of sand stuck to the lens.

I also dry and vacuum the padded cover which most dome lenses come with. It's possible for sand to get in the foam cushioning, which can scratch the dome.

Thanks Gert7to3 - exactly what I was looking for!

Audrey

I've been using Windex (well.. a UK version - Windolene) on my glass ports to get the water spots off.

Never had an issue - but have been told its probably not best... but never had a problem.

If you want something that works for sure with no side effects try 'Purosol Cleaner'

http://www.amazon.com/Purosol-Natural-Lens-Cleaner-4oz/dp/B000W8OZE2

Back
Top Bottom