What to wear under wetsuit or vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

Preparing trip for low 70 water temp and plan to take 5mm wet suit + Lavacore vest. Does lycra skin help putting wet suit on easily? Does it really add extra layer of warmth? Or is water kept warmer direct contact between body and wetsuit without the lycra skin?

On the top does anyone wear sports bra? I am asking because I like design of sports bra better than bikini top. Although they both are made of nylon, sports bra looks more water observant than swim suit material.

Thanks!

Hi Disco King,

My topic is similar to yours so I am hoping you don't mind if I add it to your post/question. I just started researching about a long sleeve hooded shirt to layer under my 3mm shortie in Hawaii. Does anyone have any feedback on Lavacore vs Sharkskin? Is a lycra skin the same thing? Any other options? Any suggestions for pants?

I wear the Fantasie brand gathered full cup bikini top because it comes in DD+ sizes. I chose a bikini top because the sports bras in my size tend to be heavier material and take too long to dry. I usually wear a rash guard over it so I do not have to worry about sunscreen. I ordered, tried on, and returned over 30 tops before I found one that actually fits. One tip I learned, order a bra style (i.e. straps over the shoulders) rather than a top that ties behind your neck. The neck strap tends to put strain on your neck that really begins to hurt after a couple of hours.

(Disco King, if you feel I have hijacked your post, just let me know and I will delete the part about the hooded shirt.) :)

^^^^^What they said.

I wear a lycra skin under my wetsuit and it definitely makes it easier to get in and out of. But it's not going to add any additional warmth. Really anything that gets wet between the suit and your skin isn't going to help keep you warm. I've tried wearing a fleece lined Under Armour shirt under my wetsuit and it didn't really help.

FWIW I'll be diving lake water in the 45F +/- this weekend for an OW class and I'm fully prepared to freeze my a** off. Gotta love the DM life!

Does anyone have any feedback on Lavacore vs Sharkskin? Is a lycra skin the same thing? Any other options? Any suggestions for pants?
My wife and I own some of both products (lavacore and sharkskin). I'm pretty sure one of those companies copied the other, they're pretty much exactly the same thing. Lavacore (or sharkskin) does provide warmth on account of the layer that stops water from flowing. In my experience it's slightly less than the warmth you get from a 3mm neoprene wetsuit. Lavacore is far more comfortable and easier to put on than any neoprene wetsuit. If the warmth you get from it is enough, then I highly recommend it. Also, lavacore/sharkskin does not compress so there's no buoyancy changes like you get with a wetsuit. There is a drawback to lavacore. It takes a LOT longer to dry than neoprene.

Lyrca (or fleece lined) skins do not have the middle layer that prevents water flow. Therefore they don't provide any benefit with regards to warmth. They are usually very cheap (often around $40 for a full suit). I do own a fleece lined skin that was just over $100. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any benefits over a regular inexpensive lyrca skin. It turned out to be just a gimmick.

Another use for a lyrca skin is providing protection from jellyfish (or anything else) in water that's warm enough to not require a wetsuit. In my avatar photo I'm wearing only a lyrca skin. That was in Key Largo. You also don't have to worry about any of your gear rubbing against your skin and maybe causing an abrasion.

Lyrca skins can be wrung out to speed drying, and they can be washed in the washing machine then dried in the dryer. I use gentle cycle and low heat. Wetsuits must be cleaned by hand. I have washed my lavacore on gentle in an HE washer but I think the manufacturer recommends against it. I wouldn't put the lavacore into a dryer. Dry time on a lavacore could potentially become an issue if you're flying home after a dive trip. You've got to make sure you hang it up and wring it as best you can or put it into a plastic bag before packing it into your luggage.

Lavacore can be combined with a neoprene wetsuit. In springs, I often wear a full lavacore suit, and a "shorty" 2mm neoprene over the top of it. A shorty is a one-piece suit with short sleeves and short legs.

There are also two piece suits (both wetsuits and lavacore) but I don't have any experience with those myself. I think they're called "farmer john" suits or something like that.

I actually bought my lycra suit for that purpose. Diving in warm water where I wanted some abrasion and sting protection without the added bulk and buoyancy of neoprene. I think I may actually look into a SEAC Komoda wetsuit (not sure on 5mm or 7mm) because it's Yamamoto rubber and then has a dry fiber liner that provides some warmth. I'm also considering maybe a semi-dry for really cold water like I'll be diving over the weekend. Maybe I just need a lavacore undergarment to wear beneath my wetsuit though. At this point the only neoprene I own is a 5mm, which keeps me comfortable so far down to 50F @ 45ffw. But I know the water is going to be colder than that this weekend.

Sorry for the threadjack OP.

(Disco King, if you feel I have hijacked your post, just let me know and I will delete the part about the hooded shirt.) :)
No worries and glad to share the space for similar topic :)

I did some research when purchased a Lavacore vest recently and want to share things I considered if it can be any help:

1. Sharskin and Lavacore: about the same
Both are good for layer
2. They both have thin fleece layer which is different from skin only suit.
3. Both stretch when wet e.g., arms (have never owned a shirt so based on what I read)
4. Neutral bouyance so no need to add additional weight
5. Hoodie vs vest: buy them desperate unless your size for hood and vest is the same
6. Lavacore hood neck is wide and skirt is short so water gets in your neck
7. I am happy with my purchase and would buy it again

What @kelemvor stated above. In addition to Sharkskin and Lavacore, Pinnacle makes a similar product that I have used for 4 years now. It is a merino wool lined wetsuit that is equivalent to about 2.5mm warmth and is neutrally buoyant. I am quite comfortable in it to temps of 80 degrees and above. I will additionally put on a hooded vest underneath it, if temps drop to 78-79. Below that, I am going with a 5mm. As stated above, they do take a while to dry out and you must wring them out well. One upside to the Pinnacle product is that it can be machine washed and put in a dryer. I don't do it daily, just at the end of a dive trip, prior to storing.
Here is an example of one that is deeply discounted on leisure pro: Pinnacle Inferno Jumpsuit
Normal price is in the $280 range, as seen here: Pinnacle Inferno V-skin Trilaminate Merino Womens Wetsuit

Much easier to put on and off than a wetsuit, but I wouldn't use lycra underneath it, personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom