What toolbox are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm tired of rusty tools!! What waterproof toolbox are you using? Ideally I'd like something with a compartment for o-ring kits, zippy ties, port plugs and all the other misc. BS we need to carry around.

Links for where to buy your box of awesomeness would be appreciated!! Home Depot & Lowes are letting me down, I'm searching Amazon as we speak.

I'm tired of rusty tools after a dive trip, too.
My on-going solution is stainless steel tools with liberal silicon spray, all else in a small pelican case.

Two ways you can go with rusty tools. No toolbox is impervious to water.

1/ Buy the cheapest you can find, and just junk them when the rust becomes a bit too much for your liking. Coating in wax/silicon/etc can help in the very short term

2/ Pony up and buy SS tools

The other thing, where are you storing the toolbox? Why is it getting so wet?

_R

if tools are subjected to salt spray/air, or you handle your tools with wet hands, the waterproofness of the toolbox won't be much help. Also, because toolboxes aren't designed to be very cleanable, salt and salty gunk eventually builds up inside the toolbox.

I'm in the camp that says buy cheap tools, spray with silicone, and replace every few years. If I had a boat or otherwise expected my tools to be subjected to saltwater often, I'd pony up for stainless.

I use an OtterBox. No model number but dimensions are 4x4x8. One caution: undo one latch before air travel as it holds pressure out but not in.

I use an OtterBox. No model number but dimensions are 4x4x8. One caution: undo one latch before air travel as it holds pressure out but not in.
The real problem is one I encounter frequently--closing it at high altitude and then trying to open it at low altitude. In one such box, I drilled a small hole in the lid and put a screw into it. Of course, you need to have a screwdriver to open it when you reach the lower altitude.

(If you live at high altitude and take a scooter to low altitude, you must absolutely remember to leave it open if you intend to use it.)

+1 for the Plano box above, it too should be watertight so consider altitude. Now these plastic containers are cheaper than the surplus ammunition cans they were designed after.

I work reasonably hard to keep the tools dry. I make sure my gear does not need work so the tools don't get used, and therefore don't get wet. When I use them, I work hard to keep them dry and will pull them out at home, clean, dry, and oil if needed, immediately after use. When I had a small wet boat and had to service anything at sea, I'm with @Lorenzoid, just get reasonably good, inexpensive tools and replace as necessary. Carry spares, or use lanyards, if you work on an outboard

Bob
---------------------------------
...Harbor Freight is my friend.

I don't have many tools. My save a dive kit is either my tote bag or a plastic supermarket bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom