What type of coral is this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basket Star Coral or Basket Starfish? ....definitely, i'ts not a starfish...doesn't move at all....

It would probably help if you told people where the picture was taken!

Rachel

ah....thanks biscuit....

The photo was taken in Asia. Philippines, Palawan on the north eastern coast. The diameter of the coral plate was in this case almost 2 meters wide.

Looks like some kind of Acropora, don't know the species though. I think I might have seen the same species in Northeastern Cebu. Where in Palawan did you dive?

2 hours north of Puerto Princesa on the east coast. The island is Coco Loco & it's just off Roxas.....

lanwu:
Basket Star Coral or Basket Starfish? ....definitely, i'ts not a starfish...doesn't move at all....

I've never heard of basket star coral, but a basket star could easily be mistaken for a coral by the untrained eye. I agree, though...this only vaguely resembles a basket star. I've never seen anything quite like that...

It looks to be a large colony of Seriatopora that has broken off and flipped over, the dark center appears to be where it was originally mounted to the reef.

Hi MafiaMan,

It was definitely alive (but not kicking)...& it is the right side up...but very few of them....

& this specimen was probably about 2-3 meters in diameter!

Back
Top Bottom