What type of Moray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would appreciate any assistance in determining the type of Moray eel pictured here. The photo was taken in Bonaire at the Plaza Resort Reef (18 Palms)

Thanks.

Oh, what a lovely animal. Morays avoid me like the plague, or I just suck at spotting them.

According to the book, your critter looks the most like a goldentail moray with it's speckle pattern reversed. But I'm no muraenid expert, by any stretch.

My guess would be a Gymnothorax miliaris (Goldentail Moray) that would be my guess.

The eel was in about 20' or less FSW off the Plaza Resort Bonaire in some dead elkhorn coral rubble, there were intermittent patches of different types of live coral in the area. The eel would move from one patch to the other using gaps in the dead coral as cover. As I recall it was about the size of a Goldentail Moray.

Thanks MoonWrasse, I have not photoshopped the photos from that dive yet. I wanted to verify the fish ID. I did find a website that showed the Goldentail Moray (which was my best guess) in the reverse colors, but the dark areas looked more like spots than the lines on this eel.

Thanks for the help.

I with Tom, Goldentail moray. Per the Reef Fish ID book, the color can be reversed, yellow backround with brown spots or netting which is what this one appears to be.

i believe that is a goldentail moray aka gymnothorax miliaris... i looked it up in the reef fish id book....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom