What type of wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mailliam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I was considering getting into diving doubles, and I was wondering what type of wing I should get lift-wise? I would be diving a set of HP Steel 80s, with a 7mm wetsuit. If more information is needed just ask away, I just want to figure out what I need.

45 lb donut wing is a sufficient amount of lift and well behaved (won't taco).

Also, consider you could be more than 20 lbs negative if your wing catastrophically fails at the beginning of a dive (gas weight + wetsuit compression). Will you have 5-10 lb of lead to drop if you still have that gas in the tank? (That makes you neutral at the safety stop after the wetsuit expands.)

If not, then a drysuit is arguably the preferred contingency plan; otherwise, a double-bladder wing may be worth thinking about.

HP steel 80s are pretty short tanks, if you're not of short stature, you may find them uncomfortable tanks to dive - especially as a beginner. If you can get your hands on LP85s or HP100s you may have a better learning experience. And echoing the above, 40-50lbs is usually sufficient for the smaller tanks and someone beginning technical diving.

I just ordered one of these. 60# version. Will try with larger and regular sized tanks. If I have to buy another in 40#, so be it.

Double HP80s are gonna stand you on your head regardless of the wing unless you’re about 5’2” or shorter. Make sure you’ve got the right tanks to double up or you’ll be in for many frustrating dives. If you are short stature, those may be the right tanks. A 40-45# wing should be all you’d need, 50# tops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom