What Voit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishpie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just got this yesterday.
No label or hoses.
Satin top and shiny bottom can.
No Hookah port.
I believe it probably is a non painted 50 Fathom but could it also be a Polaris 50?
I've taken a couple of photos of the guts and would welcome any input. Thanks.

Voit_DH_001.jpg
Voit_DH_002.jpg

I think Allan (Simonbeans) has a reproduction label that would go great with your restoration :D

P1010600.jpg

Yes, you have a 1961 model year Voit VCR-2 50 Fathom. It appears to be in very nice condition. The design is a downstream valve, and will deliver performance very comparable to the upstream systems like the Voit Polaris 50 and USD Mistral DW. The reg will breathe easiest at higher cylinder pressures due to the downstream design.

The 1960 and 1961 produced versions contain a removable HP volcano orifice seat, and an internal sleeve that controls the motion of the seat retainer unit (HP valve). Properly rebuilt, and with a silicone diaphragm, it will have a cracking effort between 0.9-1.1" on a cylinder pressurized to 2,400psi. When the cylinder pressure falls to around 500psi, it will have a cracking effort of approximately 2.5".

I suggest that you contact Bryan at vintagedoublehose.com and Rob at thescubamuseum.com to obtain the necessary parts to rebuild the reg. Of course, you already have a lead on the beautiful reproduction label from Simonbeans.

The Voit 50 Fathom is my hands down favorite DH reg. While on a dive trip with Simonbeans, I took one to 175ffw. Even at that depth, it still provided me with plenty of air flow.

Greg

Many thanks to all.

The last couple of years I have downsized my DH collection to a Mistral a RAM and a Viking.
Looks like I will add one more....it will be interesting to compare the Voit to the Mistral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom