What was your deepest and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you were on trimix, you don't remember if there was anything to see or not. Short term memory is one victim of narcosis.

I was on air and I actually do remember some of the dive. My two buddies went to 250ft and I remember looking back and seeing them turn back also. I also remember hitting 200ft and wondering how much deeper we were going.

At that depth, you are barely able to think at all, you have little memory of what you saw,

That part is probably true.

you have tunnel vision and only see what is directly in front of you.

Didn't experience that.

You are having hallucinations,

Didn't experience that either.

If anything goes wrong, you are not prepared to deal with it.

Absolutely!

Possibly the worst possible reason to dive deep.

Totally agree!

There's a video of me somewhere making a complette pigs ear of putting up a lift bag whilst on air at about 60m or so - if asked at the time, I'd've said it went fine - (un)fortunately the video evidence says otherwise - and it took alsmot 2 minutes to do it.
I don't do much in the way of deeper stuff at the moment, largely because of where I'm currently living - and because I taught my kids to dive.
However, I do have a fascination with steam engines/ships which tend to sink upright and usually the deck rots awawy leaving the engines axposed, so I'll go as deep as I have to to see it, though as the water is cold in Scotland around 85m is my limit - I went to 94 once, my buddy bailed out on the surface, I carried on, took 7 minutes to swim down through the tide, the shot had missed,I reeled off, went 10 feet, saw a starfish when my nerve went - it was a very long, lonely ascent

It was off of the Odyssey a couple of weeks ago. The reason for the 23 was the crew gave us a choice of air or EAN 24. Mine analyzed at 23.

We dived progressively deeper wrecks all week. The San Francisco was the morning of the last day. The boat offered an optional dive for anyone who did not want to do the San Francisco. Two divers took that option and dived the Betty bomber.

The crew also keeps an eye on the divers during the week to see how they handle the deeper wrecks. If someone does not show the necessary skills they will pull them aside and tell them they need to do the optional dive.

Were you my buddy on that dive? :wink:

Seriously, except that you did not go into the hold, every other detail of your story, right down to the buddy team's computer choices and the deco differences, matches mine. I am willing to bet you were coming off the Odyssey, and I am further sure I know why you were diving EAN 23, which most people would find a curious choice. (You topped off the EAN 32 left from your previous dive with air.)

My deepest dive on Air was 201 feet for 15 minutes of bottom time. My deepest trimix dive to date is only 185 feet.

The 201 foot dive was a reef. There were the usual creatures, and it was a little darker than at 100 feet. I remember it quite well. I definitely felt the effects of narcosis, but I do have recollection of my dive.

The 185 foot dive was a wreck, the lowrance in Pompano, FL

my deepest dive was to just over 1200 feet.....in a submarine! dont worry about going deep, it will come with experience and most importantly TRAINING!!!!!

131fsw to check out a Goliath Grouper on the SS Bibb in Key Largo. Could have been the nitrogen, but easily a couple hundred pounds. The biggest fish I had ever seen in person. I later saw some smaller ones on the SS Eagle. It was a big one.

dont worry about going deep, it will come with experience and most importantly TRAINING!!!!!

Hmm... I'm not sure training is necessarily more important than experience.

I think people here are confusing depth with depth beyond your training. There is nothing inherently wrong with diving deep, but only if you are trained for it. For instance, a recreational diver in recreational gear going beyond 130fsw is probably not wise. However, I think it is important for technical divers to build up dives and explore the limits of thier certification in deeper waters.

At that point, there is a lot more to depth than just "going deep"- its an exercise that verifies your planning, gas selections, and assumptions. It gives you the data you need to adjust schedules and your diving protocols. It gives you a chance to collect your own bio-feedback on how you handle the schedules. Doing these dives on a regular basis allows you to focus on the wreck at 200fsw instead of the fact that you are diving in 200fsw. That's a big load to take off your shoulders. I did a 330ft dive (within my certification level) in Grand Cayman because I had the access to deep water and wanted to do the dive. Not much to see down there, but I took a lot of information away from that dive and it allowed me validate a lot of the practices that I had incorporated into my planning, which goes a long way towards building confidence and competence, IMO.

BDSC:
I was on air and I actually do remember some of the dive.

Some being the key word.

BDSC:
I also remember hitting 200ft and wondering how much deeper we were going.

That statement makes me think you really should be thanking God you all survived the dive. Going to 200 feet on a whim is bad enough. Going to 200 feet without a plan is suicidal.

BDSC referring to tunnel vision:
Didn't experience that.

It's very subtle, you are not thinking correctly and aren't likely to even be aware of it. Even if you were, you might not remember it.

BDSC referring to hallucinations:
Didn't experience that either.

Again, would you remember? Maybe, maybe not. Were your hallucinations obvious like mermaids or were they subtle like an audible alarm from a computer that has no audible alarms or thinking you saw a buddy do something he never did? If they were things like fish inviting you to a sit down dinner, you'd be aware. If they weren't, you might not be.

paddler3d:
SS Bibb ..... SS Eagle.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe either were steam ships.

Back
Top Bottom