What was your deepest and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone wants to do deep dives, let them go! Get the training, build up experience and have a go at it. All this talk about 'there is nothing to see' etc, is all subjective and a bit patronizing.

Some people want to do things because they can, or because they like the challenge, or whatever the reason. As long as you know what you are doing (training and experience), plan carefully and accept the risks................

Well said.

I certainly struggle to see how five or six three- and four-metre Silvertips, plus large numbers of Grey Whalers and huge schools of fish at 50-55 metres is 'nothing to see'. Of course, it helps that I'm diving in 86F water with 75-100 foot viz...

And to answer the OPs question:

On air, 230 ft (what can I say, there were three Grey Whaler sharks getting their teeth cleaned on a cleaning station. It's not a depth I'd repeat without very careful consideration of the risks).

On trimix: 350 ft. And yes, it was just for the technical exercise of planning and executing it.

My deepest dive was 108 on the Eagle under perfect conditions, but it was followed by my favorite dive - Alligator Reef that bottoms out at about 25 ft.

Deepest to date was 114 which was to the dark murky bottom of my local quarry. I had an opportunity to dive with one of the guys that used to work at my LDS and he said "what do you want to see" so I said "the hole" and he took me there. Pretty dark, murky and freaky down there, but it was a great dive since I've never seen that part of the quarry.

Prior to that the deepest was the Thunderbolt off of Marathon, FL when I took my wreck certification class.

I've only done 8 dives over 100 ft. Unless there's a wreck to see there isn't much else to do at that depth. One of my most favorite dives was on the Benwood which I logged 49fsw...I still love that dive! (it's probably one of my favorites because it was my first wreck dive)

My deepest was 139', doing a t-shirt dive in the Blue Hole in Belize. The extra 9' came from chasing another diver that descended past me while holding his computer right in front of his mask. I believe he was narced, because he made no move to check his descent, until I grabbed his BC and pointed up. Back on the boat, he said he was ok, but couldn't explain why he descended through 130'. His computer read 145' max depth after the dive.

I carry a camera and most of my dives are in the 40-80' range. Diving a wreck is usually the only reason I go deeper.

There has to be a 'first' deep dive, one with no experience. Make sure it's a planned dive, with an experienced partner.

167 on the Rouse Simmons. Very nice wreck in Wisconsin. I also like doing the Walter B. Allen. 160... (My favorite)

Briefly to 153 feet on air at Ghost Mountain off Grand Cayman. Beautiful pinnacle, spent the rest of the time spiraling back up to the top of the pinnacle and then back to the wall. One of my best dives.

Good diving, Craig

My deepest dives so far were to 52 meters / 170 feet of sea water, with air as my back gas and EAN36 and 02 as my deco gasses. It was a wreck in dark water and poor viz.

They weren't especially interesting dives, to tell the truth. Hundreds of dives previously, I'd dived much more enjoyable wrecks at 15 m -40 m (50 - 130 ft), within no-deco-stop limits and in fantastic viz, and seen sand tiger sharks and bull sharks swirling around World War 2 submarines and their torpedo victims, etc. ... Another post-War cargo ship -- in a mere 2 m / 6 ft viz, already thoroughly explored and with minimal marine life on it -- just isn't a great attraction after that.

I decided that I was narced enough on those deep (52 msw / 170 fsw) dives that I'm not going to dive that deep again until I get more experience doing tec dives in shallower water. In fact, I doubt that I'll ever dive that deep on air again: that's what trimix is for.

Scuba diving is NOT a competitive sport, so I suggest that you dive deep only if there's something particularly interesting to see down there, and only if you have the training, experience, and equipment to do it safely -- don't do it just for the sake of going deep. There's nothing especially macho about sucking oxygen from a tube at 3 or 4 meters depth for half an hour, which is what tec divers spend a lot of time doing.

I now do most of my dives between 10 m and 30 m (33 and 100 ft) ... and although there are some deep wrecks calling my name, I still enjoy all of my dives even if I'm just sharing a shallow reef with snorkelers.

For me - 342 fsw in Playa del Carmen. We had a balance to burn off from a cave course so we decided to do a 100M wall dive to burn it. They only had AL80's for doubles that shortened our bottom time to 10min with 55min of deco - ugh! We saw a lot of jacks and tuna even down there. Ambient light was nice, we could see down to the sand at 400. The only problem was that we ran low on helium mixing the bottom gas and my equivalent narcotic depth was 193 so the narcosis was ridiculous. Interesting dive though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom