What wetsuit for Curaçao in september?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacsve

New
Reaction score
I'm going to Curaçao this september, and intend to do some diving :)

I will rent most of the equipment, but since I'm rather tall, I prefer to bring my own wetsuit. I have seen recommendations going from just shorts and rashguard, via shorty, up to full 3mm wetsuit. For Curaçao and September, what should I bring?

I'm mostly used to dive in dry suit, and waters around 10C/50F but not that prone to freezing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Three of us were in Curaçao this last January for two weeks. It was a mix of board shorts and tshirts or 3 mil shorties. I would think the water would be a little cooler for us in January than you in September too. You are accustomed to cooler water. Me too. If you are going to do night dives then a 3 mil full would be nice for protection and maybe warmth. We sure enjoyed the shore diving.

I dove in a 3mm shorty there, but I was warm and easily could have just worn a swimsuit or skin. My friend dove a 3mm full and was cold, but I think she is the exception.

Water is very warm at this time of the year. Anything from rash guard to 3mm will do.

Compared to what your used to it will be like a bath tub !
Going back in November and taking 2mil long sleeve shirt and shorts as I haven't used my suit the last 3 times in the ABCs.

Have a great time and please report back for those of us going after your return.

I would recommend a 3mm full or a full skin suit. I know that a lot of folks like to dive in shorties or no wetsuit at all as it is very liberating. However, you won't get cold in a 3mm full and you won't get hot while submerged in a 3mm full. Plus, if you're doing a lot of reef diving or shore diving, you won't come back with cuts and scrapes on your extremities. The only real downsides IMHO are that you might have to pull the wetsuit down to your waist between dives if you're on a boat and it'll take up slightly more space when packing as opposed to a shorty.

... Plus, if you're doing a lot of reef diving or shore diving, you won't come back with cuts and scrapes on your extremities. ...

You shouldn't be contacting the reef so should not be getting scraped up. Very bad form to contact the reef.

I can't imaging getting into any kind of neoprene in the kind of heat on Bonaire, even in January/February. I've never needed more than nylon shorts and t-shirt and even then I sweat getting geared up. 4-5 dives a day and not the slightest chill.

I dive in a full lycra in Bonaire & Curacao in October. The water is warm. The air is hot. A jug of fresh water sitting on the hood for a warm water rinse between dives. No rush to get back in the water if you need to warm up. No reason to extend the dive if you get cool (plus you've got to eat sometime :)). There's always another dive whenever YOU'RE ready. I love dive freedom. Headed back soon!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

You have a good range of opinions as what to where is a very personal choice. If you are use to cold water diving and are not prone to get cold in warm waters your likely range is short/rash guard to 3 mil shorty. When I travel to warm water destinations I have an assortment of layers where my stand by is shorts/rash guard where I can then add 1 mil short and 1 mil long sleeve, a 1.5 mil vest/hood and 2 mil shorty and a lycra skin. Between all I am covered all year. I rarely use the skin but bring it and use it when we encounter or likely to encounter stinging critters or to avoid having to sunscreen up.

i would always advise to use a full suit even if it is only a 1mm. that is what i use. packs light. don't need much lead. keeps me warm enough. provides full body coverage from sun, stings, accidental contact when entering/exiting on rocks/coral etc. and not expensive. works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom