What wetsuit to bring...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ignatius

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In two weeks, I'm going to be on a 10 day liveaboard in Thailand. Need some advice on whether to bring a 3mm or 5mm wetsuit. Is the water cold enough to bring 5mm? I'm used to diving in the caribbean with 3mm. I don't get cold that easily, but have thought after 10 days of diving, maybe I should bring a 5mm.

Anyone know what the current water temps are like?

Thanks,

Jason

I have been to Thailand many times. If you do not get cold easily and dive in cold water back home then a 3mm would be fine. Some people might find some chilling near the end of 10 days of diving if they were doing 3+ dives per day. If you are not sure it does not hurt to bring the 5 mm and you can always open it up to let some water in if your too cold. Another solution is to bring the 3mm and a seperate vest and/or vest and hood to put on should you find your getting cold. Or even a hood since that is where a large amount of heat is lost.

I have seen temperatures routinely in the mid 80's in Thailand. But you would be best to contact the dive organization you will be using to as what is the current temps at depth for the dives you are planning.

I will be going to Thailand in 4 weeks and I will be taking a 3mm full and 3mm vest with hood. That will give me flexibility plus I will be doing some dives that are multi hour duration.

John

If you don't get cold easy, then a 3mm should be fine. We dive in Thailand quite regularly and have never used anything other than a full 3mm suit.
On the boats you will find a variety of configurations - some wearing vests/hoods under a 3mm, while others are diving in shorties. It really comes down to how quickly you feel the cold.

It's something completely personal. I would not get in the water without at least 5 mm on my skin. I'd rather be warm and comfy than cold and miserable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up contacting the dive op and they suggested I bring the 3mm and if I got cold they have a 3mm shorty I can put on over it, so that's looking like the winner so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom