What will (& won't) you get in the water with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problems with regular jellies. Diving in the Keys during summer you sometimes have to flip your reg over to make a hole to get back on the boat. Not crazy about man-o-war...

I look forward to sharks as long as there is no chumming, feeding, or hunting going on (not against it per say, just not my thing). I've never been around GWs, but I've seen bulls, tigers, and hammerheads way bigger than me (or at least it seemed like it at the time) so I'm not sure where I would draw the line.

Come to think of it, diving with a diver named Dizzi might freak me out, but I'll have to man-up and face my fears 'cause I'm diving with her on the Tuesday rotation on the "Ocean Sister" at the Surge. See ya on the reef, Diz. :cheers:

I had the opportunity to jump in and spearfish in 190 feet of water, 90 miles off shore in the Gulf of Mex. with a very large GWS circling the boat. Perfectly calm and clear water, ideal conditions for diving.

I eventually told the captain that we can sit on this wreck all day and i am not going in the water until we move a mile or two. He and another diver did the dive 30 minutes later (and speared fish) without seeing it UW.

I had the opportunity to jump in and spearfish in 190 feet of water, 90 miles off shore in the Gulf of Mex. with a very large GWS circling the boat. Perfectly calm and clear water, ideal conditions for diving.

I eventually told the captain that we can sit on this wreck all day and i am not going in the water until we move a mile or two. He and another diver did the dive 30 minutes later (and speared fish) without seeing it UW.
I don't blame you...

This summer we pull up to a patch reef and throw the jug and literally seconds later a big tiger shark breaches the surface and starts bumping the jug. This went on for about five minutes as we were suiting up. Myself and another guy were first up to dive and with the tiger still present and very interested in this jug I happily said, "I ain't going down there." My buddy jumped right in solo and never saw the shark. I jumped in after his dive and didn't see it either, although viz was about 15 feet that day so I imagine it was probably there the whole time. The reef was on fire that day with bait getting crashed all over. Fun stuff! Just accept you're going to have a crappy SAC rate on days like that. lol

Last edited:
I just learned about blood worms. So far its the only thing that has given me the willies.
:wink:

I was afraid to mention bloodworms because I was told they are harmless but this YouTube video does not look harmless!

Depends on the kind of jellies. Moon jellies I will jump. Bunch of man of war and I will wait until they drift away. I got stung on the ankle by one many years ago wading near a beach. I would not want it to happen while diving. Although neoprene gives a lot of protection.

Blood worms make great fish bait. Have used them a number of times pier fishing. They got lots of bites but never bit me so that I noticed.

I've seen a Great White "in the wild" on a normal dive, no cage, was exhilarating. I look out for them on every dive and I hope a see another one again. I was stalked by a Barracuda, and never been so scared in my life ! Torpedo Rays give me he heebie-jeebies too.

I've dived with many species of sharks including great whites uncaged... but I know a few divers I'd never enter the water with.

Back
Top Bottom