What wing to get.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magnus Lundstedt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am today diving with a AGIR SS BP and Blackbird 16 l (36 lbs) wing.

When I am diving tropical with AL80 in my 2/3mm wet I am a little bit too heavy without any weights other than the plate and STA (~4 kg combined).

Therefore I have been looking at some lighter BP and put myself up for an Freedom plate.

I also need a wing to match the Freedom plate, I see many recommend the VDH #18 wing but I like to try to find a wing that I can get inside the EU so I don't need to haggle with the import fees.

First question is about what size wing i should look for. I am 183cm (6') tall and about 100kg. Today my ~4kg plate is just a tad to heavy, so i think about 2.5-3.5 kg plate+weights will be fine.

I was thinking 18-25 lbs wing would be nice, can 18 lbs be too small? I don't want to have more than I need.

The other question is if anybody can recommend any wing in this size span that is well built and reasonable prized inside the EU, I like my blackbird but the smallest blackbird is 12 l (28 lbs) and I think maybe a smaller wing will fit me better for tropical diving, also the Blackbird don't have any slots for cambands, which I understand can be good to have when using the Freedom plate.

Hi Magnus, I've just got a Mares XR 10 kg (22lb) donut wing:

It is one of those new - style narrow donut wings, it's very streamlined. I haven't dived it yet, but the build quality seems very good.
It's god camband slots and a built - in tank stabilisers, eliminating the need for an STA.

Sold in EU, so the EU taxes are included.

only 30 lbs, no smaller.

Yes, that is true but I don't find it an issue at all. I love their quality and durability. I am looking into using their BC products in our dive school training/rental equipment.

When I’m diving single tank tropical no wetsuit, I use a Freedom Plate and an 18# Oxycheq wing (purple of course). I love the setup. No additional weight needed and it’s super comfortable.

only 30 lbs, no smaller.
The other issue with that wing for the new model FP is that I don’t see 11” center gromet holes, which isn’t a huge problem because the wing could be laid over the rail bars and The cam bands run through the wing slots and through the plate instead of getting mounted in between the plate and rail bracket. But the slots would need to line up with the slots in the plate and I can’t tell from the photo if that would work or not.
Other than that it’s a nice looking wing.

If you're in Sweden, I would just get an Agir Brokk Aluminum Backplate and the Blackbird 28LB. You do have to use an STA with Agir Brokk. If you do not want to use an STA then you still have many options. Plenty of manufacturers produce aluminum backplates and wings with cam band slots. Generically, an Aluminum Backplate and a wing with a lift capacity in the mid 20lb lift capacity is going to work for you. Up to you to fine tune the details.

I signed up for a Freedom Plate too, my old poodle jacket is wearing out. Eric recommends the Argonaut from Vintagedoublehose.com, but they've been sold out forever. Is Oxycheq the next best choice? What makes the Argonaut better (if anything)? That's the only brand I've ever used, so my default choice.

Back
Top Bottom