What would you do differently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
if you were starting out in diving all over again?

Personally I have purchased a whole lot of junk gear and taken a whole lot of nonsensical courses but I would like to hear about everyone elses experience.:popcorn:

I would have kept diving periodically and not gone into a long hiatus. Travelling all over the world on someone else's dime... I really missed out diving some fantastic sites over those years.

Great question, BTW.

Last edited:
I would have done a liveaboard sooner. Wasn't sure I would like it, now it's our preferred way to dive.

Ditto^

I got certified in the mid 80s and stopped diving in the mid 90s. Started a family in the late 90s and did not get back in the water until 2007 or so.

I would have introduced my kids sooner to diving. I would have taken family vacations to the Caribbean or Keys earlier. And I would have picked the $500mil MegaMillions!

I would have gotten a lot more aggressive about thermal protection a lot sooner. I've always gotten cold easily, and continually underestimated what it would take to deal with it. Started with a 3/2 suit, then added a hood, eventually went to a 7 mil custom suit, and far too much later, chucked all the neoprene for a dry suit.

All for diving in the Caribbean, by the way.

I wasted money on inadequate protection because I always thought "just a little more" would fix it when, in reality, it was always going to take a lot more. I spent way too many dives uncomfortably cold before I finally got into the right gear. Years of diving could have been a lot more enjoyable if I'd dealt with it more effectively and sooner.

I, too would've gotten certified in my teens (not at 10....another topic) instead of age 51. But that would've meant not having a teaching career in Northern Manitoba (I had no desire to lake dive up there, and never gave a thought to being a "vacation" diver....I wouldn't have felt safe diving once/twice yearly, refresher course or not). So, I guess that leaves nothing I would change in the last 11+ years of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom