What would you do differently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only wish is that I had started to dive earlier than I did - although money would have been tight, I might have had 20+ years more of diving.

pros and cons like everything but I got very lucky with my initial training

I would have liked to have been certified earlier in college. If I had done that though, I probably wouldn't have met one of my best friends who ended up marrying my wife and I. Would have been nice to start a year earlier, but it wouldn't have been worth risking that friendship

I did have the advantage of learning at a university with an ultimate focus on preparation for technical training, so I haven't actually taken an frivolous classes and with that, I also saved a lot of money on gear with most of the gear I purchased still being with me today. I have two gear decisions I regret. One was selling my first set of Poseidon regs, though they have since been replaced 6x over. The other was not getting my DSS long backplate almost a decade ago. Pros and cons with that. I probably wouldn't have gone sidemount as early as I did and may not have done my cave training in sidemount, but I would have been a lot more comfortable in backmount.

I might be in the minority.. I'm happy with the path I took and don't think doing it differently would make any difference to that :thumb:

I was certified when I was 12 years old because my dad was an avid diver and encouraged me to. I really wish I would have appreciated the opportunities I was given then. When you're a kid a lot of times you don't realize how good you have it. I'm 40 now and wish I would have dived more consistently through out my life.

Great thread!

Like others, I wish I had started earlier. I saw a friend go through the training in 1985, and it looked like a lot of work and a lot of gear. It took him six weeks. But I bet he got good training. When I finally got around to it in 1997 I found the training pretty easy. But I felt it was rushed and inadequate to prepare me to dive on my own.

Reactions: mdb
I was certified in 1972 in San Diego, NASDS.

Weeks of classroom and pool and 5 open water dives for the basic check out.

Great instruction, and good follow up, rescue, compass course, night diver etc.

At the time I lived 3 houses in from the ocean off Wind N Sea beach in La Jolla.

I was diving every weekend.

I would not change much, except I am a bit envious of those who were certified in their
teen years, My sons were.

I do agree with Lorenzoid, that the "quick courses' have not done a good job of preparing
new divers to be completely confident on their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom