What would you do differently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it's not like you live in Chicago, @Marie13!!! :D :D :D

BTW, you should check out www.DiveHeart.org. It will stress your trim and buoyancy when you have to control it for two! Awesome people, double awesome mission.

Well, it's not like you live in Chicago, @Marie13!!! :D :D :D

BTW, you should check out www.DiveHeart.org. It will stress your trim and buoyancy when you have to control it for two! Awesome people, double awesome mission.

No, very good thing I don't live in Sh*tcago! I'm suburban.

Diveheart and I would not be a good mix. Patience is not one of my virtues.

No, very good thing I don't live in Sh*tcago! I'm suburban.
You're closer than I am. Lots closer. I can see the ocean from my street. :D :D :D

Like most, I would say I should have certified earlier. I mean there were financial reasons I didnt certify and gather all the gear until I did (in my mid-thirties), but I should have bit the bullet and started diving earlier.

I made two trips to Cozumel ... before I was a freaking diver!! (nice snorkeling though -- one of the impetus for me eventually certifying). I havent been to Coz as a diver (as I am now married to a non-diver). I also went to Maui, the Big Island, various places in Mexico & Jamaica, all before I was certified. So there's those missed opportunities.

I also lived in LA for about 3 years, before I was certified. Would have been nice to have gotten a bunch of local SoCal dives before I moved up here where Monterey/Carmel are my local dives.

I knew I would love diving; I'd wanted to dive 30+ yrs when I finally got certified. I should have looked at what all the active divers in my club were wearing and never, ever have bought a wetsuit. I wasted a lot of money owning a top dollar wetsuit for 2 yrs and had 6mo/yr diving seasons that could have been 12 months/yr.

I won't say shoulda done it sooner because I don't do regrets. I got certified when my free time was once again pretty much my own (kids at home but old enough to be neglected, left unfed, etc.); that worked well too.

If I could start from zero I would go GUE Rec. 1 or SwedTech Scubadiver (our local swedish clone of GUE:) ) and only after completing the course would buy my gear, but anyway I don't feel sorry, I have been meeting a lot of nice and interesting people :) and everything what is happening is happening for good reason :)

The Navy was/maybe still is, a bit strict on the officer enlisted separation.

Not in the USMC.

Marines are Marines, and off duty dive, ski, play other sports and get together.

On Monday morning it is "Good morning sir."

Yup. Ex-Navy officer here, and yes, they frown on that kind of off-duty socializing. I'm sure it happens, but it is kept pretty quiet.

Like many others have said, I wish I had started diving earlier, but realistically, it wasn't going to happen for many reasons, mainly financial, but others as well, before my life situation changed rather significantly.

Can't think of much I would change but my instructor and mentors had all dived the Doria. I always wanted to do that, but I think the opportunity has slipped away. I would need to complete a bunch of courses and the wreck is collapsing anyway. Now that I think about it,. I wanted to dive some great lakes wrecks too sometime,. Been waiting over 40 years...Probably don't have another 40 to get my butt up there.

Can't think of much I would change but my instructor and mentors had all dived the Doria. I always wanted to do that, but I think the opportunity has slipped away. I would need to complete a bunch of courses and the wreck is collapsing anyway. Now that I think about it,. I wanted to dive some great lakes wrecks too sometime,. Been waiting over 40 years...Probably don't have another 40 to get my butt up there.

I'm well past my prime. As a younger man, I think I would have enjoyed technical diving, perhaps a rebreather. Now, I'm very happy doing the mostly recreational diving I do. You can't go back, enjoy the present, you never know what the future holds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom