What would you do? !Fiction!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadog_Malta

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Time has come. Today is the day that you dive that sonar contact marked few weeks ago. It looks quite big and promising from your readings, otherwise you won’t risk going down to 340’. You’re on site and the teams get ready while the captain works his way to a perfect shot. Few more minutes and you’re in water. Excellent, good visibility and the current is barley noticeable. You are the first down the line and you are the lucky one to see the wreck for the first time. Its truly huge, massive and yes its upright! You turn your head to your buddy and he’s amazed as much as you are. You cant wait to fix those strobes to the line to shoot to the wreck. Ok, what now, where are you. You have just 15 minutes down here and you’re not going to waste them. This is surely a cargo hold but where am I? It seems like an old freighter and I can see structure on my right and, although collapsed, structure on my left. We agreed to divide in two groups of two divers, one heading for the bow and one aiming for the stern. But we cant make much direction here so we head right and they get the opposite direction. Passed the hold you spot a second hold and passed that the stern of the ship. Not much distance this way, we have 9 minutes left. You signal your team mate to enter a hold at which he acknowledges and follows you down the huge opening. The hold is filled with debris, wooden bits and encrusted metal parts everywhere. There is a corridor and you signal your partner for a penetration. Tying off you lead into the darkness, shattered only by the numerous lights you both carry. You enter a larger hold and as you are entering you shine your lights at a particular object. Filled with curiosity at the reflective object you carefully lift it from the silty surroundings producing a small cloud of silt. Moving back a bit to a clearer zone you look at the object and it’s magnificent. A large metal dish with the Kriegsmarine emblem in pristine condition.

Story ends here..

What do you do with the artifact?

I’m curious about what’s the general attitude towards artifacts in 2009!

The topic here is not how the fictional dive was planned and conducted so stick to the question please.

Definitely! I just sank my ass down to 330' you better believe I'll be taking a trophy :)

That would be my option of choice too.. but I do hear mixed thoughts about that.

As if leaving something down there will be preserved ad infinitum :D

put it in a saltwater bath and catalog its location and take it up to the boat for the rest of the crew to see.

I'd take it and then get a lawyer to figure out the salvage laws in the area.

Back
Top Bottom